topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Note  (Read 17623 times)

deviantopian

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • The Unusual Suspect
    • Donate to Member
Note
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Hi Guys

I've attached a small program for you to take a look at if you would like. This is my first actual application... I basically wrote it to have some fun learning a programming language and because I wanted a Post-It Note like application that didn't look like a Post-It Note :huh: .

It's quite simple (at least that was the idea) - when you run the program it creates a Note. When you close it it asks you if you want to save it. Once a Note is saved then opened again, closing it automatically saves it. You can alter the font & background colour which are remembered along with the window size & position.

When you run the program it automatically registers itself with the .note extension. I've included an Uninstall.reg file which will remove this association along with all other info added to the registry by the program.

I'd be interested to hear how it works for you and what you think about it.

Cheers  :D

Richard

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Note
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 05:03 AM »
Hi Richard, welcome to the site and congratulations on starting your journey as a programmer.

It's a little tricky to just post an exe for people to run -- given all the security/virus/etc issues, people are probably rightfully wary of running executable programs from people they aren't familiar with.

One thing you might want to do is check out our self-teaching programming school.. if nothing else it might just give you some inspiration.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:21 AM »
interesting program Richard, will download & try but a screenshot would be nice.

deviantopian

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • The Unusual Suspect
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36 AM »
Thanks mouser. I'll have a look at the Programming School. I like the idea of the assignments - seems like a good way to learn.

lanux128, screenshot as requested:

note-screenshot.png

Thanks.

Richard

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Awesome potential for a simple app. I can't believe how people have forgotten the horridness of sticky notes and why we tolerate them in the real world only because we can't get something looking like something else.  :up:

wep

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 01:01 PM »
I like your "Note" program, Richard  :up:  Can you add Ctrl+Enter hotkey for closing opened note? It must autosave changes as generally.

deviantopian

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • The Unusual Suspect
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05 AM »
Thanks. I'm glad you like it. Ctrl-Enter to close & save sounds like it might be a good idea. I'll add that to my list.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:48 AM »
Nice one this program might just replace the windows vista sidebar for me. See how it goes. Less is more!

deviantopian

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • The Unusual Suspect
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Thanks guys. I've added a couple of new features:

• Ctrl-Enter now closes and saves
  • If there is a file called Default.note in the same folder as Note.exe, new notes will inherit their settings from this file

I've also set up a web page for the program: http://theunusualsus...ct.com/software/note

Enjoy!

Richard

wep

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Great!

Few new ideas for "Note":
When first line of txt-file starts with ".LOG", the notepad, with which it was opened,
automatically adds the timestamp at the end line. So, you can add similar log functionality in
the "Note".

Also you can enhance functionality  with ".CLIPBOARD" stamp.
When first line starts with .CLIPBOARD, then Note shall automatically paste the clipboard
content at the end with blank line before it (which possibly includes timestamp).

Simple alarm functionality.
When the first line starts with .ALARM the Note will start but it will show note only at the
alarm time in the one of following formats:

.ALARM ; beeps and show the note
.ALARM =1:30 ; beeps and show the note at 1:30
.ALARM =1:30 05.11.2008 ; beeps and show the note at 1:30 only if the current date is

To working with date and time in the alarm mode, "Note" must differently recognize ":" and "."
delimiters for time and date stamps.

You can enhance your "Note" or to build new program to realize alarm-functionality idea which
make records similarly as "Note" with save&close by Ctrl+Enter. I would be prefer to have "Note"
with alarm-functionality.

TIMER functionality can be realized with ".TIMER" (with beep) or ".PAUSE" (without beep) first
line stamp. Possibly ".BEEP" stamp only beeps and do not show any note, if someone needs it.

.PAUSE ; countdown timer stamp with default time-meter in minutes
.PAUSE =1:23 ; Show note after 1 hour and 23 minutes
.PAUSE =1h23 ; Show note after 1 hour and 23 minutes
.PAUSE =123 ; Show note after 123 minutes (not 1 hour and 23 minutes)
.PAUSE =123s ; Show note after 123 seconds
.PAUSE =::123 ; Show note after 123 seconds

Similarly with these ideas you can enhance your Note's functionality using many other first line
stamps.

Also alarm and timer functions can be realized as files with different extesions:
*.alarm
*.pause
*.timer
*.beep
which will processed by your "Note" program.

"*.alarm" extension ideas:
When you open your note saved with ".alarm" extension, it will start process, but note will

shown only at the time assigned in the filename.
e.g. 12h30.alarm file will opened by "Note"-program but its window will hidden while 12:30 time
occurs.

The filename must be in timestamp format.

Filename as timestamp also is possible idea to realize alarm functionality in the .note files
instead of .ALARM stamp in the first line.

For new .alarm extension possibly to realize multi-alarm in the single file with several line
starts with ".ALARM", ".PAUSE", etc.

All record lines in the file with "any_name_but_not_time_format.alarm" extension starts with
".ALARM", ".TIME", ".PAUSE" or ".TIMER" records with time stamp, assigned in the the same line,
will define when to show the note placed after .ALARM (or other stamp) line, before next stamp.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:21 PM by wep »

deviantopian

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • The Unusual Suspect
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 08:05 AM »
Whoah... quite a few ideas there, wep! I always think that when someone requests new features for a program it's because they like it, so I'm gonna take that as a compliment.  :D

I have to admit though, that's way beyond what I had in mind for the scope of this little app. If I was going to add any of that I'd probably make it a different application, or lots of little apps - one for each task, but I doubt I'll have time to do either.

However, I have added the source code to http://theunusualsus...ct.com/software/note so if anyone else wants to give it a go they're welcome to.

I'll have to get a to-do / wanted list organised for this app somewhere.

Thanks again for your input!

Richard

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 10:21 AM »
I was looking for something just like this a while back. Cute. Small. Simple. Just my cup of tea coffee.  Don't complicate it.

wep

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:10 PM »
I have already compiled autohotkey script now, to realize simple alarm function, instead of Note, if you do not mean to enhance your program.

Just download the alarm`12h34.exe file and rename this file as your alarm message and add the timestamp at the end of filename before its extension, after "`" (Grave Accent sign) in following 24-hour format (see example):

"I have to run it at`12h34.exe" (It will show Traytip message "I have to run it at" at 12 hours and 34 minutes).

Note: do not use "`" in the alarm message text, only in the timestamp! And not longer than 255 symbols including timestamp.

Best regards, Richard!
Waiting for your new simple programs like a Note :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 01:20 PM by wep »

deviantopian

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • The Unusual Suspect
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 03:28 PM »
sazzen, I'm glad you like it.

wep, that's a cool little tool. Ultra-easy to set the time & a message for the alarm! Great for reminders.

By the way, 12:34 is one of my favourite times of the day, along with 0:12, 1:23, 2:34... I could go on :P

13:37 is also good ;D

wep

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 11:14 AM »
I like this times 12:34 too. It's a middle of my dinner time.  :D

deviantopian

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008