ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I gave in: Should I have?

<< < (2/3) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
It would appear that the Dynex wireless card I have in this PC has taken the liberty of giving itself a static IP - I don't see why else it would take .141 over .3 :huh:

It did this on 2 routers (both Linksys, one WRT300N v1, one WRT54G v4) with the same result, so...

I don't whitelist anything (just did my router, but I don't think that will be a "security issue". Temporarily allowing all on this page FTW! :P

I do run with admin privileges, because of games and the constant install/uninstall game I play with my hard drive. DropMyRights looks a bit... over the edge - I have Sandboxie, and anything I download without knowing much about I run in that first (and investigate the files it creates and whatnot). I was hoping it would be a FF add-on, but apparently not :(

Kaspersky is a good anti-virus tool (I used one of the old versions many years ago on a Compaq machine I had - solid tool, but uninstalling was a nightmare that lead to a reformat).

UAC is just the Windows equivalent of the Ubuntu (and I am sure other Linux distros) security dialog - but I do MUCH more admin stuff in Windows than Ubuntu, so it is like locking a door every time you go through - eventually your going to get mad and just leave it unlocked for the sake of not going mad and attacking it because you don't want to keep unlocking it (or in most people's case, reverting to XP).

@ Deo: Static DCHP? I thought DCHP was auto-assign on every request?

Deozaan:
@ Deo: Static DCHP? I thought DCHP was auto-assign on every request?
-wreckedcarzz (October 13, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's called Static DHCP. It ties the IP address to the MAC address.

wreckedcarzz:
Grr, I don't have that - I chose Static IP from my list to see the options and almost screwed my connection. What router/firmware is that Deozaan?

Deozaan:
It's a D-Link DI-624 -- but D-Link sucks, so don't get one. :)

That particular setting is in the same tab as DHCP settings.

f0dder:
It would appear that the Dynex wireless card I have in this PC has taken the liberty of giving itself a static IP - I don't see why else it would take .141 over .3 :huh:-wreckedcarzz (October 13, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Depends on how the DHCP pool is setup. On home routers/accesspoints/whatever, it's common for the pool to be something like 50 addresses from .100 and onwards.

I don't whitelist anything (just did my router, but I don't think that will be a "security issue". Temporarily allowing all on this page FTW! :P-wreckedcarzz (October 13, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Remember that "temporarily allow all" is the same as a temporary whitelist... and allowing *all* instead of specific sites is probably more dangerous than selective permanent whitelists.

I do run with admin privileges, because of games and the constant install/uninstall game I play with my hard drive. DropMyRights looks a bit... over the edge - I have Sandboxie, and anything I download without knowing much about I run in that first (and investigate the files it creates and whatnot). I was hoping it would be a FF add-on, but apparently not :(-wreckedcarzz (October 13, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ah yes, I'm afraid games could be quite an issue... those are often ill-programmed beasts, especially if you don't eliminate software protection for your legitimately purchased copies. Constant install/uninstall is something I left in the past, but that could be annoying too. I wish I could run sandboxie but I'm on 64bit windows so it's not a possibility - and vmware is too much hassle for everyday testing. If you run your browsers in sandboxie, you shouldn't need DropMyRights, and UAC is less relevant as well.

UAC is just the Windows equivalent of the Ubuntu (and I am sure other Linux distros) security dialog-wreckedcarzz (October 13, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yep :) - except slightly more secure because of the whole Protected Desktop thing UAC employs.

but I do MUCH more admin stuff in Windows than Ubuntu, so it is like locking a door every time you go through - eventually your going to get mad and just leave it unlocked for the sake of not going mad and attacking it because you don't want to keep unlocking it (or in most people's case, reverting to XP).-wreckedcarzz (October 13, 2008, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
;)

The problem is with crappy developers that ought to receive some massive beatings. But it's partiallly Microsoft's fault as well - they should have dropped all Win9x windows versions after win95, and made the default account type 'limited user' already with win2k. Then we'd have less issues now...

Btw, even with routers that don't have static MAC->DHCP mapping option, many routers will keep a dynamic (until-poweroff or perhaps some timeout) MAC->DHCP table so client computers will often get the same IP. But try turning off the router and renew your addresses... :)

Grr, I don't have that - I chose Static IP from my list to see the options and almost screwed my connection. What router/firmware is that Deozaan?
-wreckedcarzz (October 13, 2008, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
You probably tried setting a static IP for the WAN address?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version