ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should Microsoft become an OEM (PC manufacturer)?

<< < (4/6) > >>

40hz:
I don't think it necessarily follows that if Microsoft become an OEM PC manufacturer that they would automatically become another Apple and only have a closed-box solution.

I say that for three reasons:

1. They'd lose their existing PC customers that might be considering upgrades

2. They'd cede the worldwide existing PC base (millions & millions) to a competing OS and/or application suite.

3. U.S. Antitrust court actions would bury them. Microsoft gets away with a lot of what they do because they're so entrenched in the business world. In many ways, it would be more harmful to take them down than it would be to let them continue their less egregious behaviors. If reasons 1 & 2 above came to pass, they would lose their "hostages."

An remember: once the hostages are released, it's 'politically acceptable' to send the SWAT teams in. ;D

Deozaan:
I'm also going to chime in about the Xbox: It's really only successful here in the USA/North America. It's not doing well in Japan at all. Though I suppose Europe and Australia might be a different story.

Grorgy:

I guess I'm saying - so long as they don't become an apple, but some much friendlier fruit.-Grorgy
--- End quote ---
Kumquat? Mango? Kiwi?
-Edvard (October 13, 2008, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm hadn't really got that far, perhaps a mango, sort of squishy and soft  ;) 

Darwin:
If MS and the public's perception of them remain true to form, will be more like Durian...

zridling:
[f0dder]: ALL of Microsoft's software, or just what a regular end-user would ever need?
--- End quote ---

Good question. I don't know. How about MS Office Super Pro Premium Ultra Ultimate 64-bit?

The danger of lock-in as f0dder noted is slim, since that would shackle OS sales to hardware sales, thus reducing revenue drastically. I'm talking about MS building what 40hz said would be a 'Microsoft' appliance, which is all that any Apple computer really is. (How often do you take apart your microwave or refrigerator?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version