ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should Microsoft become an OEM (PC manufacturer)?

(1/6) > >>

zridling:

I'm throwing this idea out there because with the proven success of its Xbox, it only seems obvious that it could finally follow Apple's lead and, (1) make even more money; (2) further improve security; while (3) controlling complex compatibility issues in future OS versions.

PS: I understand that Microsoft has long manufactured keyboards and mice, among other things. But this is about PC systems.

jgpaiva:
No, please no!! Not another apple in the bussiness. Things are good as they are now, for me :)

f0dder:
No, please no!! Not another apple in the bussiness. Things are good as they are now, for me :)
-jgpaiva (October 12, 2008, 08:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1.

Shades:
We all have seen how well this idea/concept went with IBM.

Any company that 'designs by commission' (like M$ and IBM) more often than not fail or fail miserably. Being ruled by a dictator (like Apple) is either success or failure.

South-America is Playstation, I can tell you. More or less the only XBoxes you will find here, are owned by US embassy or US military personnel. Getting anything for the Nintendo Wii is already hard enough and even more expensive than in the US and/or Asia (XBox is also not that popular in the Eurozone as M$ would have expected).

My comment is not intended to label the XBox as a bad gaming rig, it is just not popular at all here in South America. Honestly, I have never touched one in my whole life, so I cannot tell anything about it.

The fact that the XBox division is separate from the main M$ company would be a reason for it's success. The main company would likely be responsible for the design of this machine...and the commission would think that the name of this machine should be 'Windows Computer'.

They however didn't envision that this name would be abbreviated to 'WC'...and the natural association of crap with that abbreviation  ;) 

40hz:
What most corporations I work with are looking for is a low-maintenance, small energy footprint, general purpose office work appliance.

If Microsoft produced a small, inexpensive (sub $300) box that could run MS Office, a web browser, and connect to a Windows domain, you would need to beat off corporate IT buyers with a stick. It wouldn't even need to look pretty. If you could just plug it in and run it, that would be ideal. If you could bolt it behind a desk or securely screw it into a wall, that would be even better.

I'm amazed they're not building the Microsoft OfficeSpaceâ„¢ Appliance (MOA) already.
(I can see the ads now: "Microsoft gives you MOA for your business!")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version