ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Battle of the Free Online Storages

<< < (5/8) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

For small free usage (I think it is 50 mg a day) DriveHQ is truly excellent.  They give you a very good file manager client.

I use them for files from home to work, alternate to a USB drive or FTP. And backup of the critical PIM style data files, like Keynote or Linkman or this or that. Originally I started with them when I was at a library and needed an upload site to hold some JSTOR files, and got set up in 5 minutes.

Maybe .. occasionally they slow you up or make you maybe do an extra "start" click because  you are on free service.

They are the only one I have used that have given you a solid File Manager client on your PC that has copy, move, delete from your PC to their storage and vica versa that works fine (in addition to the "navigate the site" possibility).

If there are others similar, please let me know.
Thanks.

Shalom,
Steven

tomos:
looks interesting, appears to be also free for commercial use
how much of the software have you installed Stephen ?

http://www.drivehq.com/freeBandwidth.aspx
Get Free Bandwidth by Using DriveHQ State-of-the-art Features

DriveHQ offers a lot of best features and software tools. These features and tools each has a retail value higher than $39.99. Now we are offering the basic service, software tools, 1GB storage and unlimited uploads for free! It also comes with 200MB download bytes per month, which is good if you are sharing photos or backup files only. Just by using our features / software once, you can get up to 1GB free download bytes/month!

* For Microsoft Windows Users

Use each of the following features and you will get 200MB free download bytes, for a max of 1GB:

DriveHQ FileManager
      DriveHQ Online Backup
      DriveHQ Desktop Express (Bundled with FileManager)
      DriveHQ Batch PhotoEditor
      DriveHQ FTP (ftp.drivehq.com)
      Free upgrade to group account (logon, click on My Account, then click on Group Account)
      Share a folder
      Publish a folder
      DriveHQ SMTP/POP3 email
      Refer a user using your referral link
--- End quote ---

and their comparision to some others
http://www.drivehq.com/Backup/FeatureCompare.aspx

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

I think when I have the file manager, pretty much everything is there.  The batch photo thing doesn't interest me, but that is likely online.

Mostly the premium service is size of use, and amount of use, not quality of features.

Compare DriveHQ free and premium services.      
http://www.drivehq.com/premium/

Feature / price comparisons with major providers: many times better and cheaper!
http://www.drivehq.com/help/features/defaultStorage.aspx?from=storage&service=storage'

The key is:

Map network folder / drive     
FileManager is better, never slows down your PC, never locks Explorer

And far easier to use, like Total Commander vs. Explorer.

Shalom,
Steven

tomos:
Here's an interesting one:
CrashPlan

I came across it here (a not very in depth review, in the Imaging Resource newsletter)

~ Basic backup software is free
~ Plus ('+') software is $60

Why should I buy CrashPlan+?

Purchase CrashPlan+ if:

* You are a business. The free version of CrashPlan is for personal use only.
    * You need customer support. CrashPlan+ users receive email and phone support.
    * You want to restore files from the web. CrashPlan+ users can restore their files over the web when combined with CrashPlan Central (purchased separately).
    * You want continuous, real-time backup. The free version of CrashPlan backs up daily.
    * You like being super secure. The free version of CrashPlan is plenty secure but for enhanced security, CrashPlan+ uses 448bit encryption.
    * You want to be ad free! There are no ads in CrashPlan+

--- End quote ---

you can figure out from that the disadvantages of the basic software... Compare here.  

In review linked above, they say it needs 500MB memory for continuous protection (!)
It's one of those watch your files in the background apps
It does partial file updates

The online backup costs $54/year/individual, unlimited backup (that sounds good!)
Again in the review they say they'll send you a 1TB drive to do your first backup if you have over 100GB to backup  [edit]-I didnt see that advertised on their site, presumably only in the US-[/edit]

MrCrispy:
The thing I'm not sure about is how long will these new providers be around? I use Live Mesh, Skydrive and Dropbox and I know that they are big enough names that my data will be around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version