ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Battle of the Free Online Storages

<< < (3/8) > >>

Clive:
I'm using Live Mesh (see above) and X Drive, but see that X Drive is to be withdrawn.

Important Service Announcement to all Xdrive Users:

On January 12, 2009, AOL will permanently close
the Xdrive Online Storage Service.

We sincerely appreciate your being an Xdrive customer and want to make sure you are aware of the options you have for retrieving your files.

To make this transition as easy as possible, you can use the following download options to retieve your files:

Create a zip file of your entire Xdrive account for easy download;and/or
Download selected files through the standard Xdrive Web or Xdrive Desktop Client

You may choose any combination of these options, based on your needs, by returning to this site at any time prior to January 12, 2009.

Please be sure that you have retrieved your files by January 12, 2009. After this date, the Xdrive site will no longer be accessible and any remaining files will be permanently deleted.

For more information about the closing of Xdrive or on how to retrieve your files, please visit our frequently asked questions area at www.xdrive.com/closingfaqs/

They offer these alternatives which may be worth checking:

Other Online Storage Options

Once you have retrieved your files from Xdrive, you can try any of these services for your future online storage needs.

Box - www.box.net

Carbonite - www.carbonite.com

Elephant Drive - www.elephantdrive.com

sazzen:
ADrive has a very slow upload acording to the test Crush links to above
160 mins (almost 3 hrs) for 300mb
75 mins to download same
and
a generally slow and/or problematic connection - still got third place though!
Just so's you know
-tomos (November 06, 2008, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well-ll-ll-ll -  didn't you just burst my happy bubble!   :huh:
Makes me wonder what got fourth place.  Thanks for the warning. I'm now calculating essential MBs.

iphigenie:
There are so many it's just crazy!

Currently trying spideroak as the feature set in the marketing speak is appealing - they alas dont offer a competitive enough deal on larger plan - I dont mind paying 10/month but 100Gb is just too little to back up all my photos and music files as well as my documents. So I need two.

As a result I am looking towards adrive or elephant for the storage of the photos/music files, someone offering less features but more space is what i need there. FTP access would be great too since I could run it from SFFS.

In a way these are different needs
- things I am using a lot and want to be able to easily retrieve, sync, version etc. - things that would take a huge time to recreate, things that need keeping for paperwork purposes, software licenses etc. I do not share these, but I might appreciate access from anywhere. Note: at the moment a small amount of those files are on fastmail but it is too fastidious (web browser upload) for anything but the most important stuff.
Online editing like adrive offers might just be useful for that need too...

- things that are purely a "in case my house burns down or is burglared" things - things that are already backed up on an external drive at home but whose loss would be irretrievable

I guess it is not absurd that 2 different services would serve those differently

city_zen:
I'm now calculating essential MBs.
-sazzen (November 08, 2008, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

sazzen, if you end up trying out ADrive, I'll be very interested in your experience, since it's my # 1 choice too

Also, since my first post, I've found the very interesting Backup Review website, filled with information and reviews about these services

tomos:
Currently trying spideroak as the feature set in the marketing speak is appealing - they alas dont offer a competitive enough deal on larger plan - I dont mind paying 10/month but 100Gb is just too little to back up all my photos and music files as well as my documents. So I need two.
-iphigenie (November 08, 2008, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

have you checked out Carbonite (I havent used it) the offer unlimited storage for 50$ a year
there was a thread about it here somewhere - ah I see you've posted there ;)

I'm using Jungle Disk/Amazon S3 for important backups
and
DropBox (because of it's versioning and partial file update capability) for my SQLNotes database (otherwise I'd be backing up over 10MB every 15 mins or whatever ..)

but I havent gotten as far as backing up photos which I'd like to do at some stage - about 60GB at the moment
so will be curious to hear if you find something suitable to requirment #2
-
- things that are purely a "in case my house burns down or is burglared" things - things that are already backed up on an external drive at home but whose loss would be irretrievable
-iphigenie (November 08, 2008, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version