ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Battle of the Free Online Storages

<< < (2/8) > >>

tomos:
The winner in the Test was humyo.com.
ADrive was only third.
-Crush (November 03, 2008, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Features     
    * 25GB storage for media files
    * 5GB storage for non media files
    * Access via web browser or mobile phone

not sure how they define or differentiate between media/non-media files?
-tomos (October 14, 2008, 04:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

actually they now say on this page
http://humyo.com/pages/en/online-storage-plans-and-pricing
10 Gigabytes
5GB for Photos/Music/Videos & 5GB for other files

laughinglizard:
I've been looking into this for a week or two and trying out a few of them..........I've been using Jungle Disk with Amazon S3 for some time, and it works fine for me, but for some reason I'm driven to play around with the others.  :)
(that along with an external hard drive have me feeling reasonable safe)
There are other interfaces available for S3, but I'm not aware of any others that do automatic backup.
FWIW, Jungle Disk was purchased by Rackspace, and though its not clear as yet what they plan to do, it looks like they are thinking of offering storage in both places.

I've also been using Windows Sky Drive:
Windows Sky Drive
It has 5 GB free storage.
I have a few things stored on there and the interface is easy, but if you want drag and drop you need to use IE.

Windows Live Mesh looks interesting:
Windows Live Mesh

After poking around, the biggest difference I noticed was that some offer file synchronization across one or more computers, some offer storage only and files are backed up manually, and some offer storage and back up, or storage, backup, and synchronization.

Most of them are accessible from anywhere, though some of the free ones limit you to one computer. Some of them will only allow certain types of files to be uploaded.

Dropbox has 2GB and is very easy to use:
Dropbox
I have a handful of invitations if anyone wants one.
Dropbox stores their files at Amazon S3.

Syncplicity just came out of beta - I've been using it off and on. It hogs a lot of bandwidth.
Sugarsync has plans starting at $2.49/mo. US and will put your photos into gorgeous photo albums (so they say).

Most of the services allow files to be shared or kept private.

I'm leery of Wuala as they seem to store bits and pieces data on the computers of the people who join.
Maybe its secure but the very idea of my data being scattered about on other people's computers gives me the chills.

Lifehacker has a good and recent comparison chart of online storage, and there are several more mentioned in the comments.

yksyks:
Still no one brave enough to try the free OpenDrive? It's not listed anywhere. Is it that bad?

sazzen:
Interesting that I came across this just now. I just came from the Free Download A Day website and was thinking about downloading A Drive.  Ever since my computer crashed and wreaked such havoc in my life, I live in fear of it happening again. I keep backups on an external WD drive and some of the most important files I also keep on a flash drive but I'm still not comfortable. I mean, what would I do if my house burned down or someone stole my precious Gremlin (yes, my 'puter has a name)??? And A Drive offers, not 2, not 5, not even 25 but 50 GB of free storage.

tomos:
Interesting that I came across this just now. I just came from the Free Download A Day website and was thinking about downloading A Drive.  Ever since my computer crashed and wreaked such havoc in my life, I live in fear of it happening again. I keep backups on an external WD drive and some of the most important files I also keep on a flash drive but I'm still not comfortable. I mean, what would I do if my house burned down or someone stole my precious Gremlin (yes, my 'puter has a name)??? And A Drive offers, not 2, not 5, not even 25 but 50 GB of free storage.
-sazzen (November 06, 2008, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

ADrive has a very slow upload acording to the test Crush links to above
160 mins (almost 3 hrs) for 300mb
75 mins to download same
and
a generally slow and/or problematic connection - still got third place though!
Just so's you know

50GB is tempting though ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version