ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Where to start with computer programing

<< < (5/8) > >>

CWuestefeld:
why not start with looking at the Stanford School of Engineering free computer courses.  They sound pretty good
-Grorgy (October 12, 2008, 07:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

That looks like a great suggestion. While we were busy bickering, Grorgy found the best answer of all  :o

josephus:
You guys did fight a lot but with that aside i have decided to learn java and go from there.

I'm going to use eclipse but if anybody has other suggestions on anything my ears are open  :)

jgpaiva:
My professors would advise against eclipse because it helps people too much...
Still, I sure recomment it! :)

wreckedcarzz:
I started programming in AHK a couple years back because of the cool apps I found here at DC, and I now do a little AHK and a lot of Visual Basic .NET.

AHK is great for personal programs, fun tricks and whatnot - and it can get really useful if you get into it and take the time, but it won't turn into anything big. It can come in handy though, random times when you need to do something repetitively, it can be so useful to have a script lying around...

Java, C#, C++ and Python are all MUCH more advanced than VB, but personally I am not interested in more powerful languages at the time - Visual Basic is a simple language (once you understand how it works) and it is easily readable even by people that don't know the language (I have had friends that take NO interest in computer programming look at code and I explain to them what it should do, and they sometimes pop a question at me that ends up fixing something).

Do note though that I don't intend on being a programmer as a job (computer repair is what I am shooting for), and I am only 15, so I'm not exactly one to take much advice from.

Figured I would toss my thoughts in :two:
-Brandon

f0dder:
My professors would advise against eclipse because it helps people too much...
Still, I sure recomment it! :)
-jgpaiva (October 13, 2008, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
I believe that all the helping Eclipse does is actually a good thing - especially for people who have never programmed before. The help it gives is certainly more intuitive than what the java commandline compiler spits out. You could argue that some of it's features might drive people lazy, and all the helpful warnings can make you end up writing sloppy code, but I dunno about that.

Oh, and then there's all the "repetitive manual labor" automation that it does - it's nice speeding up refactorizations, creation of setter/getters, etc. After all, those are examples of step-by-step manual labor that a machine does just as well as you, so why waste time doing it manually? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version