ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Reorganizing music library

(1/2) > >>

CWuestefeld:
I'm trying to reorganize my music library. Not edit the tags -- I think I've got that squared away thanks to MusicIP, etc. -- but get the files themselves straight.

I'm not 100% confident of how well it will work, so I want to do it as a Copy operation rather than Move. I just hooked up a 300GB disk just for the job, so I've got more than enough room for it. This is an absolute requirement, and it disqualifies my normal library manager MediaMonkey.

I want to do it according AlbumArtist/AlbumName, which obviously means that the tool must support the AlbumArtist tag. That seems to disqualify my other tagging tools -- TheGodfather and Zortam.

Can anyone suggest to me an alternative that can satisfy these requirements?

Bonus points if it can provide a higher-level structure of alphabetic selector (an A folder containing all AlbumArtists starting with A, etc.), but that would be easy enough to do by hand afterward.

Lashiec:
foobar2000 FTW. It takes care of everything, including the Album artist tags, and it includes a ridicule number of predefined renaming patterns. You can also use its script language to tailor the proposed pattern and create the A-Z folders as well, so everything will be set up in one operation, it will probably involve the use of the $cut(X,Y) or the $left(X,Y) function with %artist% as the X, and 1 as the Y. Mp3tag can take care of it as well, just it will be less straightforward.

EDIT: Errr, no, it would involve the use of %album artist% :-[

CWuestefeld:
I just tried foobar2000. It doesn't seem to work. It appears that the %album artist% tag doesn't work here. In most, if not all cases, it's not picking up the data that I had set in MediaMonkey. I also suspect that it didn't find all of my songs, but I can't see any way to verify this -- there's no report I can find that would give me even a total count of them.

I haven't tried mp3tag yet; from the website I can't see how my task could be accomplished.

Can anyone else offer further suggestions?

Grorgy:
I did something similar recently with J River Media Centre, though I didnt use album artist, I used album but still, if you have it it could be worth a try, its a bit pricey just to do that with in my opinion.

Lashiec:
I just tried foobar2000. It doesn't seem to work. It appears that the %album artist% tag doesn't work here. In most, if not all cases, it's not picking up the data that I had set in MediaMonkey.
-CWuestefeld (October 12, 2008, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

If foobar2000 finds a custom tag which can not map to its predefined set of fields, it usually shows it up with <NAME OF THE TAG> in the Properties window. foobar sometimes fails to read all tags (for example, if they use an unsupported codepage), but I don't think MediaMonkey does this. So, to use such custom tag, you have to enclose its literal name in %%

I also suspect that it didn't find all of my songs, but I can't see any way to verify this -- there's no report I can find that would give me even a total count of them.

--- End quote ---

Drop the directory that contains all songs in a playlist, go to View -> Playlist Switcher and voilĂ . Alternatively, if you're using the media library, activate the album list, right click on "All music" and then select "Properties".

I haven't tried mp3tag yet; from the website I can't see how my task could be accomplished.

--- End quote ---

Again, you have to drop the files in the file view, and go to Convert -> Tag - Filename, and play with the tags there. To create folders in such dialog, you have to use something like %name of one tag%\%name of another tag% IIRC, the syntax is pretty similar to foobar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version