ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why Does Microsoft Make File Type Names So Long?

<< < (3/4) > >>

J-Mac:
I realize, though, that doing this throughout all my thousands of folders will never be done. Maybe just a few key folders, I guess.-J-Mac (October 11, 2008, 12:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Doing what throughout all your folders?

You should only need to configure the columns once, then go to tools -> folder options -> "View" tab and "apply to all folders"... unless I'm super dense and it's something else you're talking about :-[
-f0dder (October 11, 2008, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

No way! Currently I, like many Windows users, have different directories configured to show different details and view styles. My Pictures, My Music, Program Files, etc. And then all subdirectories within those. If you use "apply to all folders" ALL folders will show only the exact details that are shown in the specific folder you save it from.

I've done that in the past and then realized that any and all customizations to all folders are lost for good! Unless of course you go through every folder that was customized and do it all over again.  Not me!

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac:
You'd have to show me (on my system, of course) what extensions need more than three characters. I don’t see them.
-J-Mac (October 10, 2008, 08:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

The problem is that when a developer wants to come up with an extension for their application's data files they want to make it unique across all applications so there's no conflict on anyone's machines, not just yours.

-mwb1100 (October 11, 2008, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then that is the developer's problem IMO. If developers are required to stick with a standard extension length that wouldn’t be a problem. asit is, any developer can make an extension as long or short as he/she desires. Which can be a problem, at least for me!!

Or - with so many software applications now that apparently need to create their own special, unique, important (Read: proprietary - to make them more $$$), then set a standard for a 4 character length for file extensions.

But the way it is now it's getting kinda silly in some cases.

Thanks!

Jim

f0dder:
No way! Currently I, like many Windows users, have different directories configured to show different details and view styles. My Pictures, My Music, Program Files, etc. And then all subdirectories within those. If you use "apply to all folders" ALL folders will show only the exact details that are shown in the specific folder you save it from.
--- End quote ---
Hadn't thought of that - I've always been annoyed with individual folder view settings, and set EVERYTHING to details mode :)

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has made a tool for backing up those settings.

Then that is the developer's problem IMO. If developers are required to stick with a standard extension length that wouldn’t be a problem. asit is, any developer can make an extension as long or short as he/she desires. Which can be a problem, at least for me!!

Or - with so many software applications now that apparently need to create their own special, unique, important (Read: proprietary - to make them more $$$), then set a standard for a 4 character length for file extensions.
--- End quote ---
4 chars wouldn't be enough either... and proprietary formats doesn't have much to do with this, actually. There's several programs storing data or configuration in XML format, but with a generic ".xml" extension, you aren't able to double-click a file and launch the correct application.

Deozaan:

I've done that in the past and then realized that any and all customizations to all folders are lost for good! Unless of course you go through every folder that was customized and do it all over again.  Not me!-J-Mac (October 11, 2008, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

The solution to this (for future reference) is to make sure you set the default folder settings at the beginning of a fresh install. Then as you come to the rare folder you want displayed differently, you customize it.

J-Mac:
Deozaan,

Rare? I have a heck of a lot of subfolders in My Pictures and My Music - not too rare, actually.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version