topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sprint-Wow. Just. Wow.  (Read 6711 times)

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Sprint-Wow. Just. Wow.
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:36 PM »
We started with Sprint on August 22nd, 2008. We were told we were in a "best reception area" and service would never be a problem. I bought a Centro, my wife and daughter opted for the Rumor.

Sitting in the middle of this "best reception area", in the open, in clear view of 1 of 3 towers, we cannot call on Sprint, all 3 phones automatically roll over to roaming, which effects our minutes. If we place them on "Home Only", there is no service, or only one bar, and the calls sound like a broken drive-thru restaurant speaker. On all three phones.

Aug 28th, we made our first trouble call. They opened a ticket, I called back nightly to check it's status, no one could give me an answer except to check my phone settings, then they stated they had tried calling me "several" times, and closed the ticket.

A week later I opened ticket number 2, they told me it was my phones and suggested we change phones. They closed the ticket without a resolution.

We then traded the two Rumors across for 2 more, and I returned my Centro and upgraded to a Treo 800w. This is now Sept. 10th. I purchased and activated my new phone.

A week later I opened ticket #3. Same problems. I received a voice mail during the hours my phone was off and I asked Sprint not call during those hours while I was at work, (they did anyway), the voice mail stated that they had made calls in my area and all was well, and that roaming was ok as long as I could make calls and that roaming all the time did not effect my plan minutes. They closed the ticket. I kept a call log, and between the 3 phones we used 357 minutes, but online Sprint states we used 775 minutes.

So now, ticket #4, this one was closed because they stated they tried calling over several days and no one had answered. Several days, but the ticket was closed THE VERY NEXT DAY. I have an answering machine, if it isn't up or my home line is down it rolls over to voice mail, and if that is down (it never is) that rolls over to cell voice mail.

They re-open ticket 4. Next day I get a voice mail stating that they were logged into my phone and I am connected to a Sprint tower. The phone was without a battery in it at the time, the battery was being charged in a cradle, and it wasn't connected to anything. They close it again.

I have these voicemails.

I have 36 signatures of people in my area having the exact same problem.

Now then, to top all this off, my Treo is having charging issues, which I told the Sprint Express rep about, and he said he would get back to me. Finally, on October 8th, I can no longer even plug the charger into the port, it is stripped and the plastic is bent. Regular use, plug/unplug twice a day, no car charger. I even bought the extended battery and a ton of accessories.

I have TEP though Asurion, but this is obviously a manufacturer defect, and within 30 days of original purchase. One guess as to how this will turn out. Sprint Express can't take it, the original activation of service (not the phone) was Aug. 22, they want $100 if I even bring it to the store. Palm can't take it since it is less than 30 days from purchase. Sprint corp can't replace it, it is less than 30 days from purchase and activation.

4 hours on the phone and I FINALLY get someone who takes the time to read, and listen, and she has me send it to Asurion, and they charge it to my Sprint account, then she is going to credit the $50. OUTSTANDING!

Then, the next morning, my wife hits something in the road, has a blowout going down a hill, and is terrified, guess what? SHE CAN'T MAKE A CALL IN A SPRINT BEST RECEPTION AREA! Verizon has no coverage in that area, and that's who we roam too, I guess it's in our Preferred Roaming List. I know for a fact AT&T has great coverage there, we switched to Sprint from them, and we are now switching back.

That is probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

We went to AT&T and ordered 3 new phones, plus services, about $699 after rebates. We put in for a number port on our 3 phones. They won't port the numbers until the phones are shipped Oct 15th.

I receive my replacement Treo 800w today, send my broken one back in the mail, then go to activate the new one, they won't activate it saying a number port is in process. Still not a problem, the damn service was unusable any way, so, officially my number is unable to be ported and I cannot use Sprint services, but they still want to charge me for said services. I asked them to remove charges for the 3rd line ($19.99), Navigator ($9.99) and TEP ($7.00). They say no. They won't even activate the phone with a temporary number. The rep puts me on hold yet again, while on hold, I conference in our family lawyer, fill him in, play the voicemails, (10 minute hold this time), and we are now up to 2 hours on the phone.

When a human finally gets back on the line, it's the cancellation department. Why? I have no idea. My lawyer speaks up and that person puts us on hold without saying a word. We are now at 2 hours and 23 minutes, we finally get to a supervisor who doesn't identify himself. After 13 more minutes of wrangling, the supervisor agrees to suspend the line that cannot be used. He then tells us our next bill will be prorated to $19.99+$7.00+$7.00 ONLY, which is 3rd line + insurance + insurance. He also tells me that this will not effect my number being ported to AT&T and that will go smoothly. (*cough*yeahright*cough*) I can't wait to see how Sprint screws this one up.

Since the number suspended was the main line on the account, I no longer am paying $129 for my package, and my wife/daughter still have unlimited SMS, 1500 shared minutes, Navigator and insurance. Essentially they now have free service. I hope that this supervisor was right and we don't end up being screwed by his actions in the end. (pun intended)

In the mean time, I am stuck with a brand new, never activated Treo 800w with a ton of accessories and I have no idea what to do with it. eBay, here I come?

I spoke to a "Rachel" today who asked me my 10 digit Sprint phone number so she could "best 'endorse' my call". I gave it to her, asked her to transfer me to customer care, then ended up arguing with her for 7 minutes while she nosed around instead of transferring me. She finally said she would transfer me to customer care, put me on hold. When the phone was picked up the person who answered said she was "Karen" with customer service and asked me "How can I best 'ENDORSE' your call?" SAME PERSON. Same voice, same accent, same mistaken use of the word 'endorse'.

Vote for my call, it has ENDORSEMENTS.

Wow...just wow.

Goodbye Sprint, the single worst company I have ever dealt with in 42 years of life. Every CSR I spoke to was rude, a "rest on your laurels" ego ridden, win the argument phone troll. Only 3 people I spoke to were polite and helpful or knowledgeable. The rest were liars, not understandable, or just plain stupid? I spoke to Sprint at least 3 times a day over a 45 day period.

Anyone want a brand new Treo 800w with a ton of accessories for $275?

Two rumors $50 apiece with skins, USB cables, car chargers?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sprint-Wow. Just. Wow.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Wow! That's an understatement, BTW. That's an amazing, and depressing, story, y0himba. Thanks for sharing it, and I hope that they don't manage to screw up porting your numbers across to AT&T. With luck, this will just be a bad memory by Oct.15th and a great story for family get togethers in years to come...

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:04 PM »
I just hope there isn't a problem with the other company, "letstalk.com", they are the folks who sold us the phones and service.  If I had gone directly through AT&T it would have been around $1600, so this is the only way I can afford it.  Phones are on back order until Oct 15th. 

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 04:20 PM »
I've found that most services that require a multi-year contract don't have very good customer service. After all, they basically trapped you when you first signed up. They don't need to worry about keeping you, since if you leave they can just charge you exorbitant cancellation fees.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 06:23 PM »
I've found that most services that require a multi-year contract don't have very good customer service. After all, they basically trapped you when you first signed up. They don't need to worry about keeping you, since if you leave they can just charge you exorbitant cancellation fees.

Excellent point, and pretty much my experience as well.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:05 PM »
In my case, pay as you go solutions are far too expensive...I wish it weren't so.  That is a very valid point.  I am a bit trusting though and hope that companies will work to retain customers. 

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 09:14 PM »
I am a bit trusting though and hope that companies will work to retain customers.

Well... in fairness, while I think that the customer service at myh cell phone carrier is shocking, they've yet to come close to the loathsome, horrible service you experienced (or that Allen experienced with his ISP). So, I guess I should say that my experience has been more that customer service has been frustrating but that my issues have all been resolved without any real drama.