topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ClipCache Plus 3.xx Preview...Don't Get Too Excited  (Read 11081 times)

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
ClipCache Plus 3.xx Preview...Don't Get Too Excited
« on: November 17, 2005, 05:33 AM »
Hey guys, I recently got my hands on a preview of the next release of ClipCache. To those who know and love it, you know why...well, it's not quite what I'd expected. It's no where near what you'd think it would be after all these years of waiting for a 3.xx build. Anyway, if you want to try it, it's right here.

I've posted the link to save you the bother of signing up at the forum just to get to it.

You will need this key to install it: kjd$9h34fh*kjf2923

I feel like I've lost an old friend. I'm going to miss this program.  :(
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ClipCache Plus 3.xx Preview...Don't Get Too Excited
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:36 AM »
a preview of the next release of ClipCache.

I registered out of sheer gratitude, but I've never bothered to install the shareware version as the old free one (clipc141.zip) does all I want...

I feel like I've lost an old friend. I'm going to miss this program.  :(

Do you feel an absolute need to change to something with more features?  Someone on Fidonet used to have a sign-off line: "in a pinch, a stone ax still works."

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 10:39 PM »
I was hoping for some better cleanup options, like removing pipes on the fly. Capture text > remove pipe > next paste, no pipe. You think it can do this? Nope! Actually, I don't think any of the ones I've tried can do this, not even ClipMate. I don't even think spell check was added.

Plus it's not that I'm looking for more features, it's missing the ones I like: the expandable menus from the tray and hot key popup for example...the one big reason I never went to ClipMate, even with ClipCache chronic loss of sync with the clipboard in XP and the auto repair clipboard chain doesn't work and never was fixed.

And another gripe, the tool bar icons look even older and outdated than the current version.

There is a real lack of decent clip board programs on the market, ones that integrate with a windows style environment and and cluttered eye sores that is.

Mouser's is looking nice but has a long way to go before I can use it.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 12:34 AM »

Plus it's not that I'm looking for more features, it's missing the ones I like: the expandable menus from the tray and hot key popup for example...the one big reason I never went to ClipMate

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're describing, ClipMate does this in both version 6 and 7 (can't remember back to 5...).

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 02:44 AM »
Let say you have some groups in the programs main dialog such as; Clips, Saved, Images, or whatever. Now when you click on the try icon or call the menu to pop up at your cursor there should be:
  Clips >
  Saved >
  Images > Image1.jpg
                  Image2.jpg
                  Image3.jpg

Understand? Now when you click these, Images for example,  you get a submenu containing the contents of those groups. I didn't notice this feature in ClipMate.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 09:46 AM »
OK, I understand now! To my knowledge, ClipMate does NOT do thisĀ  :-[ It allows you to switch between folders easily enough, but as far as I can tell does not feature the expandable menus that you describe.

This sounds like a very useful feature - one I had not considered before. Perhaps I'll peruse the Clipmate forum and see if it is an active suggestion. If not, I'll add it.

Thanks for clarifying that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 10:03 AM by Darwin »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 02:49 PM »
Nighted, i just wanted to add that i know how you feel about 'clipcache'. i've tried everything else (as far as i know of) and i always return to 'clipcache' - mainly because of the hotkey menu thing - best idea i've seen on these types of apps.

not tried the new beta but it sounds like i'm not going to like it.

hopefully mouser's util will incorporate the hotkey menu thingy on day  :)

msmail

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 02:09 PM »
Thanks for the Beta key. I tried a few times to get the password by loggin into the ClipCache forum and submitting a request, but a response never showed up in my inbox there. I'd be curious to know how you went about getting it.

As to the program itself, I find it's actually far better than I had thought. I'd been using PasteLister by Progency Software, an extender which, to my mind, still beats anything going even though development has stopped. Among other things PasteLister allows you to pick one or several clips via a pop-up menu by holding down the control key as you select. It then pastes back into the active application in the order in which the clips were selected. It also allows the insertion of TAB and ENTER keys to clips, handles bitmaps, allows clip folders and is low on system resources. It is, however, beginning to show its age.

To my surprise the pasting tab in ClipCache 3 does allow you to output keystrokes to specific windows, a process which is both heftier and more limiting than PasteLister.