topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Here's something you don't see everyday: Linus has a blog!  (Read 3561 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's something you don't see everyday: Linus has a blog!
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:18 PM »
[via Glyn Moody]:
In case you missed it, something of truly global importance happened last week. No, not the collapse of capitalism as we know it, something much more profound: Linus started a personal blog.... But blogs are funny things; they have a life of their own that often takes posts in quite unexpected directions. And so, despite Linus' protestations to the contrary, this family blog has started sprouting stuff like this about the "Art of the Kernel Release":

So in a very real way, a release is just a starting point for further work, but very little of that "further work" is actually things I have anything to do with what-so-ever or much interest in. Yes, I see the patches that are queued up for the stable kernels, but mostly as an observer. And the distributions do their own thing.

So what makes a release anti-climactic is that from a development standpoint - at least as far as I'm concerned - it is inevitably at the end of a gradual slowing down of interest. So to me a release is not so much of a birth of a new kernel version, it's more of a laying-to-rest of an old one. It's also an end to a fairly quiet period.

So I tagged the release five hours ago, and during the few days before that I had barely a score of commits to merge. But now that I have cut the release, my mailbox is starting to come alive with merge requests for the next version - with thousands of commits queuing up for merging in just a few hours, as opposed to the slow trickle in the days that went before.

This is all exactly as it should be, of course, but it still feels bass-ackwards, in that people always talk about the death-march to a release, and how you're supposed to take a well-deserved vacation after the release.

I have a feeling that this blog is going to provide us with many more insights into the making of Linux – and the mind of Linus – and that the open source world will be all the richer for it.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Here's something you don't see everyday: Linus has a blog!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Whew, I expected it to be far more technical, glad it is not, makes it easy to quick read the posts, which look to be somewhat interesting for now. Added to the reader, and thanks for the heads-up :)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 12:38 AM »
Like most people, he may abandon it in a month or two, but who knows, it should be interesting. I figured the guy just didn't have the time to mess with a blog.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:56 AM »
Well, at least now he has one more venue to get cranky in. ;D