ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best FREE IRC client?

<< < (2/5) > >>

brotherS:
I know mIRC is popular and I've always liked it.. but I don't like how no new version of it has appeared in almost a year and a half..
-moerl (November 17, 2005, 12:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, I never really liked mIRC, but I'm very happy without it.

Don't worry no more, salvation is near: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1201.0

:up:  :-*

f0dder:
Hehe... Miranda is very nice for Instant Messaging (I hope they'll soon release an updated official version that fixes the numerous MSN bugs), but it doesn't do the trick for IRC for me... oh well :)

brotherS:
Hehe... Miranda is very nice for Instant Messaging (I hope they'll soon release an updated official version that fixes the numerous MSN bugs), but it doesn't do the trick for IRC for me... oh well :)
-f0dder (November 17, 2005, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hehe, I was waiting for comments like this, thanks :) Of course, if you (feel the) need to use lots and lots of scripts you should go for mIRC, since there are simply much more scripts available.

But if you don't (and thanks to https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1167.0 I don't) Miranda is quite perfect IMHO.

moerl:
I never even considered a multi-protocol chat client as a viable option for an IRC client.. not sure why. I use Trillian Pro myself, and love it.. but I've never once tried doing IRC with it. Opera is also my main browser, which has IRC integrated... I never use it.

I just installed and tried Klient... and I must say, it blows me away. For the first time, EVER, an IRC client's setup options and interface actually make PERFECT SENSE. Even mIRC takes quite some getting used to until you get the interface and especially all the options and settings... Klient seems to be the way an IRC client SHOULD BE MADE. I'm rather amazed at the moment, I must say... I haven't connected to any channels yet.. just went through the options and customized here and there.. but just that left me very impressed.

I'm sure I'll report back after I gather some more info on Klient's performance/quality, but for right now, I'm quite impressed. (Their website became usable again and I was able to download :))

brotherS:
I never even considered a multi-protocol chat client as a viable option for an IRC client..
-moerl (November 17, 2005, 01:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
I see...

not sure why.

--- End quote ---
There we found the problem ;)

Main reasons why I use Miranda for IRC:
- it's highly customizable
- I can easily use the same hotkeys, sounds and whatever for IRC, ICQ, AIM
- all the chatting is done in one program

Navigation

[0] Message Index