ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best FREE IRC client?

(1/5) > >>

moerl:
I know mIRC is popular and I've always liked it.. but I don't like how no new version of it has appeared in almost a year and a half.. and I never bought mIRC, and frankly, given the situation, now is the worst time to pay for it. So.. I took a look at everything listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IRC_clients#Windows

And well, I'm pretty confused now. There are so many clients out there I'm about to go nuts.. savIRC and Vortec IRC both look great. ViRC looks ok but not very user friendly and the comments/reviews on betanews support this assumption. I've tried Hydra IRC at least twice before and somehow I was never able to become friends with it. I might have to give it another shot.. but one downside of it is that it too is stuck in a development-halt phase.. apparently it's been stuck at the version it's at now for a while. It's freeware but not open source so all development depends on its author.

Does anyone here have experience with all these clients?

Thanks ;)

jazper:
I know you said FREE, but I can't resist on giving a plug for Klient. Has excellent multi-network support, great user interface. Supports Plugins via Delphi SDK, C++ SDK, and C SDK. Also, the scripting languages it supports is VBScript, JScript, Perlscript, PHPScript, and RubyScript.

Its $24.95 for lifetime license, which includes upgrades to all future versions.

jazper

f0dder:
I haven't been able to find a replacement for mIRC - nothing else really seems to do the trick. While mIRC isn't exactly LEAN_AND_MEAN, it's not the largest client either. The lack of updates doesn't bother me much, since it's pretty mature; new updates just for the sake of bumping version number is silly :)

I've tried XChat as well, nad it looks sorta okay when tweaked a bit. However the windows version is nonfree (because building the windows version is nontrivial? yay for ´portable´ programs, sigh). It also suffers badly from flickering when resizing, which is unacceptable to me.

moerl:
The FREE is just a guideline.. I'd like you all to point out whatever you think is the best client :). I actually tried downloading Klient earlier.. and the site is as good as down. Terribly slow and unresponsive.. I looked for other mirrors but couldn't find any :/

moerl:
I've come to a similar conclusion with mIRC.. I'm going to give Klient a try because it does look promising but if that doesn't work out I'll probably end up with my old, tried & tested combo of mIRC + NNScript.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version