topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: fastest method/language to create my own software  (Read 6204 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
fastest method/language to create my own software
« on: October 09, 2008, 09:43 AM »
hello

which is the fastest method/language to create my own software?

thanks

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Re: fastest method/language to create my own software
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 09:51 AM »
There are many factors that could sway you in one direction or another.  What type of software, developing for what OS, what platform (local or web based), how comfortable are you at code and logic, what do you consider fast (what is your time frame)...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 01:32 PM »
Fastest? Money.
- carpe noctem

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 02:43 PM »
There are many factors that could sway you in one direction or another.  What type of software, developing for what OS, what platform (local or web based), how comfortable are you at code and logic, what do you consider fast (what is your time frame)...

... whether this is a one-off to solve a specific question you've got, or is intended to be distributed; what your level of experience is; how many people will be working on the team; availability of libraries to help with specific domain problems or UI needs...

I'm going to assume that you're new to this. If so, that should be a primary consideration. Many people think that some of the typical web-based platforms like PHP and perl will rot your brain, teaching you bad habits that will make it difficult to improve your skills later.

Depending on other factors, you might consider C#, python, or java. All of these are serious tools that can build applications of more sophistication than a single programmer could ever handle. They are all coherent languages, meaning that they approach things in a logical way, having been designed quite rationally and deliberately (as opposed to evolving any which-way, as PHP or VB did). And they all have large amounts of support available, in book, online resources, and users that could help out.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:23 PM »
which is the fastest method/language to create my own software?

I believe this could best be summed up with:

(YLtL * FL)/(LC * UoP) =  :wallbash:

Where:
YLtL = Years Left to Live  [in years]
FL    = Frustration Level  [in number of keyboards smashed/year]
LC    = Language Complexity  [in the number of minutes you spend studying one line of code and still not see the bug]
UoP  = Urgency of Project  [in months, where UoP = n - (n^2)]

The object of the equation is to reach unity, (a oneness), with the computer.  To become the Zen of programming.

As soon as the right side equals  :-* you have achieved all that you seek.

This is possible......just ask mouser  :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 06:02 PM by 4wd »

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:29 AM »
This is not a popular choice among serious coders, but I would recommend getting MATLAB. It comes with a GUI builder called GUIDE that will let you make the GUI in minutes and generate the code for it. Then, all you need to do for a simple program is write up the functions that need to be called up from the GUI and link to them. Finally, you can package the whole program as a standalone executable.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 05:52 AM »
ROFL @ 4wd.
But seriously..at the risk of giving half the regulars here the shock of their lives, I'd have to agree with CWuestefeld, for the most part. I would probably encourage you to attempt a web app, especially if you don't require local functionality, but do require a pretty GUI. I do, however, agree with everything else he said, C# Python and Java are all good choice for rapid application development. I would advise steering clear of VB, Perl and ASP.

Ehtyar.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 09:53 PM »
ROFL @ 4wd.
I just had to do it :D

No offense to the original poster but it really is a rather vague question to ask.

The equivalent of: "What's the best software for writing CD/DVDs?".

Only a hundred times worse.

There are so many factors that come into the equation that without supplying a lot more information the only valid answer is:  The language that you feel comfortable with and that allows you to do what you want with the minimum of effort.

The software development equivalent of K.I.S.S.w

No need to learn the complexity of C#/JAVA/Assembler/etc if you only want to create small apps of use only to yourself for doing something really esoteric when using AutoIt/BASIC/etc will get it done in far less time.

However, if it's knowledge that you want to put to use throughout the rest of your life, then yes, learning a Object Oriented, platform independent language is going to be more useful in the long run.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:09 PM by 4wd »

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 05:48 AM »
Yet another good point. In retrospect I suppose I have to agree with 4wd as well; we need a more detailed description of what you intend to accomplish before we can give you a fully educated answer.

Ehtyar.