ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

VirtualDub Game Recording Guide

<< < (2/3) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Xfire's video compresses (I think?) if you choose to upload it to their servers, and leaves both original and compressed files on your hard drive. You can just start the upload and then cancel it after "Encoding" is complete for a small file, then delete the original (or, obviously, let it upload).

I have FPS and Time "pinned" to my game windows (shows up in video, too) and in my performance dives like so (using Xfire):

Halo 1.04: From 60 -> 40FPS @ max
Halo CE 1.04: (same as Halo)
GRID: From 30 FPS -> 8-12 FPS @ medium-high (custom) (viewable here and here)
Crysis: Un-recordable (but that's to be expected on my machine)
COD4: 30-40 -> 10-20 @ medium-high (custom)
NFS Carbon: 30-120 FPS -> 10-30 @ max
NFSMW: 30-50FPS -> 10-20 @ max
Project Torque: 30-75FPS -> 8-15 FPS (viewable here)
Sauerbraten: 30-200FPS -> 6-40 FPS @ max
Test Drive Unlimited: 15-40 FPS -> 10-15 FPS @ max

I play all my games at my LCD's max res, 1280x1024 (I have not recorded in 1080p, yet). Most videos do not get posted because the FPS simply suck, or I forget about them (then wonder where all my HD space went ;D)

To be honest, that [VirtualDub] setup is a bit... daunting. I began reading it last night and just finished about 5 minutes ago (granted sleep and school in-between :P), and while it makes complete sense, I'm not sure if video capture is *THAT* important to me. :-\

That probably won't stop me from taking a stab at it, assuming I read it over in steps. I procrastinate a lot :-[

fenixproductions:
I had tried descibed solution and found a problem with every game I have installed:
screen is blinking from time to time!

Of course: I've uninstalled every application from article and reinstalled my PC.

Now I am sad because I did not create restore point...

GeneralAdmission:
Xfire's video compresses (I think?) if you choose to upload it to their servers, and leaves both original and compressed files on your hard drive. You can just start the upload and then cancel it after "Encoding" is complete for a small file, then delete the original (or, obviously, let it upload).-wreckedcarzz (October 09, 2008, 03:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, Xfire does have a handy auto-compress/upload feature which VirtualDub obviously lacks. I've never used them because I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to videos ;).

Those are some serious FPS hits you're getting with Xfire. I imagine racing games are essentially unplayable in the 10-15fps range.

I agree that the guide is rather daunting, but the majority of the work is in the first-time setup process. When I want to record a game these days it takes me less than a minute to have the apps open and configured. Of course, I'm the kind of guy who also writes batch files to launch multiple apps or simply uses a few keystokes in Launchy. :)

When you have time give it a shot. I'm very interested to see what kind of fps you can get with VirtualDub compared to Xfire.

I had tried descibed solution and found a problem with every game I have installed:
screen is blinking from time to time!-fenixproductions (October 09, 2008, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Did you read through the guide section where I discuss hardware overlays? Since VirtualDub just records your screen and doesn't 'hook' into DirectX, it often captures the overlay's key color (black frames) instead of just the game's rendered frames. There are a few workarounds listed in the guide.

This is why I'm interested to find out if any of the coders around here have graphics programming knowledge. If someone could figure out or code a solution to disable overlays, the flickering frames should not be a problem. Any takers?

fenixproductions:
2GeneralAdmission
I am really ashamed because I was in rush writing it. I am waiting for mouser to delete my post somehow.

It appeared that it was not the source of the problem. I am sorry once again.

PS The source was Typing Assistant. I forgot to add my games to exceptions.

GeneralAdmission:
2GeneralAdmission
I am really ashamed because I was in rush writing it. I am waiting for mouser to delete my post somehow.

It appeared that it was not the source of the problem. I am sorry once again.

PS The source was Typing Assistant. I forgot to add my games to exceptions.
-fenixproductions (October 09, 2008, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Don't worry...I took no offense to what you said. :)

So did Typing Assistant cause the flickering? Have you been able to record successfully now? If so I'd love to hear about how well it performed for you.

Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version