ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

VirtualDub Game Recording Guide

(1/3) > >>

GeneralAdmission:
Greetings everyone, (longtime lurker, first time poster)

I have recently published the first version of my guide for PC game recording with VirtualDub. This is a personal project, not a product or service.

I am sharing it here because there are a number of fellow gamers on the DC boards who might find it useful.

I also have a question for the coding gurus: Do any of you know how to disable hardware overlays? If you know how to do this it could potentially solve the primary drawback to this method of game recording (see the guide for details).

I welcome feedback, so please let me know what you think!

-GeneralAdmission (formerly GoldDragon)

Housekeeping:
-I believe this is the appropriate subforum for this thread. If not, mods please move it to where it should be.
-Thanks Mouser for the nick change. ;)

mouser:
Great.. welcome to the site GoldDragon/GeneralAdmission  :up:

wreckedcarzz:
I am sharing it here because there are a number of fellow gamers on the DC boards who might find it useful.
-GeneralAdmission (October 08, 2008, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Definitely! Wanted to record a game video yesterday, but was worried about Xfire Video lagging. I'll have to give this a go :)

lanux128:
great tutorial! i was always curious to know how this was done. thanks GeneralAdmission. :up:

GeneralAdmission:
Definitely! Wanted to record a game video yesterday, but was worried about Xfire Video lagging. I'll have to give this a go :)-wreckedcarzz
--- End quote ---
I've used Xfire some. It does a good job of recording, but the performance hit is noticeable, especially at higher resolutions. Like Fraps, Xfire also uses lossless encoding, which means enormous video files. If you haven't looked at some of the sample footage yet, several of the clips have framecounters displayed to show how well game speed holds up while recording. I also posted a simple codec comparison to show how that variable by itself can have a significant impact on performance.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version