Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 20, 2014, 08:20:19 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: My First Ubuntu Program (MFUP) by Wreckedcarzz  (Read 2666 times)
wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 21, 2008, 06:51:06 PM »

Background information:

As most of the forum regulars know, I program heavily in Visual Basic .NET for Windows - mostly for personal use, but I do publish a few applications here at DC ("SnapSuite", "MiniBrowse", etc). I have been looking for a way to program in Ubuntu for a while now, trying to avoid C/C#/C++, as well as Java at all costs. WINE won't run Visual Studio, and there is no .NET for Linux.

After several months of searching, I stumbled upon Gambas 2 while finalizing my Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex install. The website seemed to imply that it is geared to C# and GTK#, but I gave it a shot anyways - it seemed like a good program from what I was reading. I had issues with the initial setup on my desktop (my own fault), and ended up giving up for the night.

Today, I started a project on my laptop in Gambas, just messing around in class. This time I didn't check the option as I did previously (the one giving me the error), and was able to build a GUI without much trouble. I ended up coding the thing up in the principal's office (unrelated), and figured out how to make a .deb package for Ubuntu. I had some real fun making the About box as well tongue

Information:
This program doesn't really DO anything, it is more like a show of "this can be done". Just sort of interesting to tinker with for a couple minutes - everything works as it should.

How to install:

Download, extract and locate the .deb file - it should be called "test_0.0.3-1_all.deb"

Launch the .deb file and you should get a prompt similar to this:

Click "Install Package" and wait for installation to complete:

When the installation finishes you should see something like this:

Now close that dialog and the "Install Package" button should now say "Reinstall Package":

Installation is complete! You can close the Package Installer now!

Program in action:

Navigate to your Applications -> Other menu, and find "MFUP by Wreckedcarzz" - click to launch it:

This is the main GUI, just a few controls - the scrollbar at the bottom is locked in place:

The About box, IMO, priceless cheesy:

How to uninstall:

Navigate to your Applications -> Accessories menu, and find the Terminal:

In the terminal, type "sudo apt-get remove test":

Hit Enter and wait for a Y/N prompt to appear in the Terminal:

Press Y, followed by Enter to complete uninstallation:

Uninstall complete!

If you like it (or if you don't), let me know - I do plan on making actual Ubuntu applications (ones with a purpose), but I figured that this little project was interesting enough to post here smiley

-Brandon

* MFUP.zip (7.46 KB - downloaded 147 times.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:52:58 PM by wreckedcarzz » Logged

New website! With a fancy domain name and everything! *gasp*
http://www.wreckedcarzz.com/
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 04:02:07 AM »

Hi brandon!
Could you just upload the images to DC?
It's more confortable to open them, and we're always assured that as long as the forum exists, the images will exist also smiley

housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 04:25:06 AM »

Mono is supposed to be .net for linux. Also supposedly it supports .net 2.0, but not the cool stuff from 3.x.

Congratulations for your first ubuntu package. I think making a proper package is very important. I like it when programs can be uninstalled as easily and swiftly as they had been installed.

Thmbsup
wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »

Hi brandon!
Could you just upload the images to DC?
It's more confortable to open them, and we're always assured that as long as the forum exists, the images will exist also smiley

*Editing now* smiley

The images are too big for DC to hold - it keeps erroring and throwing me in the "Create New Topic" page. Sad

Mono is supposed to be .net for linux. Also supposedly it supports .net 2.0, but not the cool stuff from 3.x.

Congratulations for your first ubuntu package. I think making a proper package is very important. I like it when programs can be uninstalled as easily and swiftly as they had been installed.

Thmbsup

I'll have to check out Mono. Thanks - I tried to make the in/uninstall as easy as possible cheesy
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:00:56 PM by wreckedcarzz » Logged

New website! With a fancy domain name and everything! *gasp*
http://www.wreckedcarzz.com/
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 06:19:06 PM »

I've been using Mono recently, and even on Windows I'm impressed. Not sure what state the VB compiler is in, but the C# compiler is feature complete.

Ehtyar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.05s | Server load: 0.23 ]