ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Vista Immersion Experiment

<< < (4/7) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Why can't I turn off the bar that has "Organize", "Views" (etc), and the big bar in the bottom that has selection details?
-f0dder (October 07, 2008, 10:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Organize Menu->Layout->Deselect anything you don't want.   With the new address bar's handy ability to move laterally in the file system I never use the tree view any more.
-Stoic Joker (October 11, 2008, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
That won't let me turn off the organize/views/etc. menu itself, though :) - the "big bar in the bottom" turned out to go away when I selected "use windows classic folders". Better than nothing.
-f0dder (October 11, 2008, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Classic Folders? Zoiks! I'd hate to go back that far :) The Details pane (pain...) can/is removed via the method I mentioned earlier. While the organize menu/speed bar is a bit anoying it's only so when displaying both it and the classic file menu bar which I haven't used in years (I'm all context menus and hot keys) There are around 300 Windows keyboard short cuts built into Windows and I (collect) use as many of them I I can remember.

Now the default Vista window border size of 4px is revolting and burried in Windows Color and Appearance->Classic Appearance Properties->Advanced->Border Padding  I've found 2px to be a tollerable balance for this setting.

J-Mac:
I have UAC turned off completely on my Vista notebook. And before anyone complains how crazy that is, I am the one and only user of this machine, and I have used every Microsoft OS they have ever released without an infection by being careful and using the computer wisely. So, no - I am not "living dangerously". It serves no useful purpose that I can determine other than to make users stop and think before they act. And I believe that I do that myself. If not, well I will pay the price, correct?

As for why some have so much difficulty getting UAC turned off, is it possibly limited to certain editions? I have Ultimate installed on my notebook.

Jim

Stoic Joker:
I have UAC turned off completely on my Vista notebook. And before anyone complains how crazy that is, I am the one and only user of this machine, and I have used every Microsoft OS they have ever released without an infection by being careful and using the computer wisely. So, no - I am not "living dangerously". It serves no useful purpose that I can determine other than to make users stop and think before they act. And I believe that I do that myself. If not, well I will pay the price, correct?

As for why some have so much difficulty getting UAC turned off, is it possibly limited to certain editions? I have Ultimate installed on my notebook.

Jim
-J-Mac (October 11, 2008, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes you are, and so am I ... Understanding the risk is the first part of mitigating it. It's a little thing called the law of averages. Yes skill counts, but sooner or later you end up being far enough of your game to slip up and get blown outa the water. I not sure at this point if it was Virtual PC issues or Visual Studio hiccups that caused me to disable it...but I'm seriously considering revisiting the situation to see if there is another (UAC enabled) option.

I fell off my game in a street race once, and wrapped a car around a telephone pole ... So I'm not quite as cocky as I used to be about "skill" ;)

All editions of Vista allow you to disable UAC.

Darwin:
I have UAC turned off completely on my Vista notebook.
-J-Mac (October 11, 2008, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure what I think about this. When I bought my own Vista notebook, I intended to downgrade the XP Pro. Then, when I started playing with Vista in advance of that, I intended to disable UAC but never did. So far, the worst thing about UAC is the constant harping about doing (pretty much) ANYTHING in DOpus 9 (I haven't tried the Administrator switch that's part of DO 9 yet). I'm still dithering, because while I appreciate the function it is intended to serve, I also feel that, having survived the past 14 years with every version of Windows save 95 and ME, I am in the same company as Stoic Joker and J-Mac: more than capable of making these decisions for myself... I guess time will tell. For now, I'm leaving it alone (it stays enabled and I don't run NortonUAC or TweakUAC).

J-Mac:
StoicJoker & Darwin:

For backup of my data AND my system itself I use the following:

* System integrity:  Acronis True Image 11 for regular full images of my C: Drive
* System Integrity:  First Defense - Rescue for a complete, separate bootable copy of my C: Drive
* Data:  Genie Backup Manager Pro for backups of ALL data files to two separate external drives
* Data:   Super Flexible File Synchronizer for syncing all data folders to an external drive
* Data:  JungleDisk with their Plus Service (Web Access) for ALL data files backed up to Amazon's S3 online storage
* Digital photos:  Flickr and Smugmug Pro Accounts.  All my digital photos ( >15,000) are uploaded and stored on both services
IF I do have that lapse that Stoic mentioned about when he was racing, I feel that I have enough redundancy built-in so that I can recover from any possible "Oops" moments I may experience. Worst case, I wipe and restore.

(I didn't say that I haven't learned anything in all those years of computer experience!!   ;)  8))

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version