ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

One answered question before you died

<< < (18/22) > >>

zridling:
[zaine]: What are the winning lotto numbers for 2009?
[jgpaiva]: I fail to understand what use would those number be to you.. Or are you assuming riencarnation? Still, how'd you be speaking the winning lotto numbers after 1 year of life?
--- End quote ---

Dude, I'd forward them to mouser to fund more coders!

40hz:
I'm actually quite shocked at how some members turn an innocent questions into a question about god.-Veign (October 10, 2008, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

No offense, Chris, but I think you're a bit naive - the nature of the question makes the topic having taken a religious turn inevitable.
-Darwin (October 10, 2008, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting...

Because from my perspective, the nature of the question makes the topic having taken a humorous turn inevitable.

After all, what's the point of having a questioned answered just prior to death if you believe death is the end? Or if you believe you'll be reincarnated with no memory of your previous lives? So I think the question is largely religious in nature. Without trying to impose my beliefs on others, here is a tiny, non-denominational, summary of my beliefs that will help you understand my answer better:

I believe that some questions will be answered in this life, but all questions will be answered in the next life. So, in my opinion, there's not really any point in asking "the greatest and most important question" to get an answer only seconds before dying, because I believe I'll have it answered relatively soon after dying.

Also, to reiterate: The question(s) I feel this thread is talking about are of such an importance that I don't think anybody would be qualified in answering them except God.

I also agree with App in regard to the following statements:

As I look over the list of everyone's questions, I am left wondering if I am the only one here whose biggest unanswered questions are of a more personal nature?

For whatever reason, the questions others want the answers to, don't seem to matter that much to me.

[. . .]

(I can not clarify what I mean by that on a public forum. It would be way too personal)
-app103 (October 09, 2008, 04:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is to say: The question posed in this thread is very serious and to me it seems like the intent was to get some profound insight into the most important, burning questions people are really wondering about. After all, isn't the deathbed the place we typically see past all the meaningless day-to-day fluff and consider what's truly important? I understand the humor in this thread, and it's all well and good, but it seems out of place considering the sober nature of the question.
-Deozaan (October 10, 2008, 02:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure that is true in all cases. Most great spiritual leaders were known for the playful way they tackled deep subjects. And most were pretty good jokers, if the contemporary accounts that have come down about them are true.

To the best of my knowledge, humans are the only sentients on this planet that tell jokes. I think that may be one of the only things that makes us uniquely "human." (Writing is the other, in case you're wondering.)

A sense of humor is also a higher thought process, in that you need to do a quantum leap in thinking to see the humor in a joke. It requires a split awareness and an appreciation of paradox that borders on what is traditionally thought of as metaphysical insight. Literal -minded and otherwise 'serious people' seem to lack that capability.

You can't really perceive the nature of the 'human condition' unless it makes you cry - but you don't really understand it unless it makes you laugh. Ignore the humor in The Cosmic at your own peril.

Take a look at all those statues of Buddha. (And look at some photos of Ghandi, Mother Theresa, and Nelson Mandela while you're at it.)

Then ask yourself : "Why are these people usually smiling?" 

Now THAT's a serious question. :)

40hz:
Isn't it obvious? It's only a mystery if you have testosterone (it clouds the judgement!)
-Carol Haynes (October 09, 2008, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

No it doesn't!

Now please excuse me, I need stick my finger in this light socket to see if the fuse has blown... ;D

Carol Haynes:
To the best of my knowledge, humans are the only sentients on this planet that tell jokes. I think that may be one of the only things that makes us uniquely "human." (Writing is the other, in case you're wondering.)
-40hz (October 10, 2008, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting - haven't there been examples of chimps writing and dolphins communicating through symbols. As for humour have you ever seen two dogs playing together - OK it isn't a standup routine in a nightclub but it can be pretty close to slapstick ... and dogs seem to see it that way too.

Some human cultures haven't developed the skills or need for writing and when they do learn it is more often than not because western missionaries have taught them so they can read the bible. Writing is actually relatively recent in human history (even cave painting, which is probably one of the oldest forms of 'writing' only dates back 10s of thousands of years). Would you argue that our ancestors prior to cave painting were not human beings or sentient?

Darwin:
Because from my perspective, the nature of the question makes the topic having taken a humorous turn inevitable.
-40hz (October 10, 2008, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

No argument there! I just focused on the religious aspect of Chris' comments...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version