ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

One answered question before you died

<< < (13/22) > >>

Arizona Hot:
My question is:

"Is there other intelligent life in the universe and where is it?"

If only one part of this is permitted, then the question is:

"Where precisely is any other intelligent life in the universe?"

Carol Haynes:
>We no more have eternal life in a literal sense than calculators going to silicon heaven.

>Believe in eternal life and an eternity of singing happy-clappy songs in the clouds - but belief does not make something true.

Lack of belief doesn't make it false, either.
-xizdaqrian (October 08, 2008, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Absolutely no evidence whatsoever doesn't build confidence. I don't believe in fairies or the Loch Ness Monster - does that mean they must be true - other people believe in them after all!

I know a number of new age hippy types that honestly and passionately believe that if you dangle a lump of crystal over someone they can find healing - personally I'd rather go to the doctor and take antibiotics!

Believe in eternal life and an eternity of singing happy-clappy songs in the clouds - but belief does not make something true.-Carol Haynes (October 08, 2008, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not according to Pratchett ;)

Following DW's books: what happens after death depends on your faith. If you believe in Eden - OK. If you want 72 virgins - OK. Even new live can be granted. Everything is up to you and what do you hope for. You can also gloat over tasty waffles for eternity :)

I've found this idea to be the best one.
-fenixproductions (October 08, 2008, 07:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I love about Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams they both have a really joyful way at taking a side swipe at superstitious nonsense.

So Long - and thanks for all the ...

God's last message to mankind: "We apologise for the inconvenience"

David1904:
>We no more have eternal life in a literal sense than calculators going to silicon heaven.

>Believe in eternal life and an eternity of singing happy-clappy songs in the clouds - but belief does not make something true.

Lack of belief doesn't make it false, either.
-xizdaqrian (October 08, 2008, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Absolutely no evidence whatsoever doesn't build confidence. I don't believe in fairies or the Loch Ness Monster - does that mean they must be true - other people believe in them after all!

I know a number of new age hippy types that honestly and passionately believe that if you dangle a lump of crystal over someone they can find healing - personally I'd rather go to the doctor and take antibiotics!
-Carol Haynes (October 08, 2008, 07:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps the definition of "evidence" is the key.
Maybe instead of "what would be the last question before I die", we could shift to "what would be the first question after I was born".
Then we could ask "How do I know what I know"? or "How will I know whether my method of judging what is true or false, is true or false"?
- or even "is it true that what my net doesn't catch, aint fish?"

What I mean is, how can an answer be given to a question, for example, about the existence (or otherwise) of a non material part/aspect/dimension of a person using a set of rules which assumes that only physical matter/energy exists?
These sorts of questions and the methodologies they involve I call "religious" because they involve some deep presuppositions about reality and how we know, and because they precede any application of some theory or other.

Regards

David

Deozaan:
my joke was hillarious, how come no one is laughing about it?  :(
-mouser (October 08, 2008, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

We thought you were serious. :-[

relipse:
why didn't i turn to God earlier in my life?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version