ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

One answered question before you died

<< < (22/22)

Darwin:
Google Sapir-Whorf and check out some of the college/university websites that show up - you should get a decent discussion that way... The hypothesis is essentially that language guides our thinking - provides us with ways of viewing the world - and so, in a sense, "creates" or "dictates" our reality. An alternative name for Sapir-Whorf is "linguistic relativitism". The opposite view is that language merely reflects our reality... I've oversimplified this... er, A LOT!

40hz:

-with thanks to Mssr. George Herriman, creator of KrazyKat and all the other bizarre 'residenz' of Coconino County

icekin:
If someone came to me and offered to answer any question before I died, I would first question his/her ability to give the right answer and how would I know if that answer is even right or simply another plausible theory? The fact that it is based on existing assumptions may make it more acceptable, but it still wouldn't be absolutely correct, because we will never know if several of our existing assumptions are absolutely correct unless someone challenges them. And it is always possible that someone may challenge them in the future based on upcoming experimental evidence that we have yet to be aware of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version