ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help with vista business remote desktop

<< < (2/4) > >>

nite_monkey:
I don't think I have ever validated my windows yet, I've only activated it, unless activating it validates it, which I don't think it would, since it doesn't in xp. I will go do that real quick.

40hz:
40hz: telnet can be used to connect to ports other than 23, which is a quick-and-dirty way to test if you can connect to a given machine/service - more useful than taking down a firewall and pinging, since a firewall could easily block either ping or a specific service, but allow the other :)
-f0dder (October 07, 2008, 03:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree. The only reason I brought it up was that I once had someone trying to access a remote desktop using just the telnet client. Sometimes I forget I'm up on DC where the level of computer literacy is much much higher than what I usually run into. My apologies to nite_monkey for not remembering that.

Re Telnet: I'm a big advocate of disabling telnet and using SSH. I just assumed telnet was disabled on nite_monkey's machine because I always kill it. My bad for not thinking outside my own box. ;D

BTW: If you're ever feeling particularly snarky, you can install Imaginary Telnet Server 1.0 and have some fun with whoever is trying to break in to your system via telnet. Great for laughs when you get the occasional script-kiddie trying to hack your network.

Description:
Whenever your computer is connected to the Internet, it is opened up to attacks by anyone experienced with the Internet technology. One of the possible attacks is by using the Telnet protocol to log into your system. If successful, the attacker can gain complete control of your system. With the Imaginary Telnet Server running, he will be served a fake response which will prevent him from accessing any resources available on your system. The server will give him the impression that he has found a top secret military computer. But when he tries to log in, the server will offer humorous rejections. If he uses one of the password cracking programs and tries to log in persistently, the server will feed him a series of completely fake data for a while, making him think that he got in. After a while, the server will "discover" the intruder and kick him off. No matter how hard the attacker tries, he cannot log in to your system via Telnet. Use it by itself or alongside a firewall. the server runs in the background and stays out of your way completely. Full assembly language source is included, so it can also be used as a model for assembly language programming of Internet servers for Windows computers.

http://www.allworldsoft.com/software/8-892-imaginary-telnet-server.htm

--- End quote ---

Occupational hazard when you do tech support I guess. ;D

nite_monkey:
I don't really have a use for fake telnet servers, because that won't fix my remote desktop problem, anyways, on with the previous post. I have windows vista activated, and validated, and it still won't work. I haven't looked in the event log yet to see if the error changed since I validated, so I will do that as soon as I get home.

40hz:
I don't really have a use for fake telnet servers, because that won't fix my remote desktop problem, anyways, on with the previous post.
-nite_monkey (October 07, 2008, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry. That part was directed more towards f0dder... ;)

nite_monkey:
oh, ok, nvm. I king of like the idea though, I love that screenshot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version