ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help with vista business remote desktop

(1/4) > >>

nite_monkey:
I can't get the blasted remote desktop to work with vista business sp1.
I have the correct services running.
I have remote desktop running.
I CAN'T telnet into port 3389.
netstat shows that the computer isn't listening on port 3389
and in the registry, remote desktop is set to listen on 3389

under the Event Viewer, I get:
Terminal Service start failed. The relevant status code was Error: 0xc004f012.

I would really like some help with this if anyone can help me here.

40hz:
Three questions:

1. Is the error message found in the host or the client machine's event log? Could you also reconfirm the exact error message and code number?

2. Can you ping the IP address of the machine you're attempting to connect to? If you can't, temporarily disable your firewall and try pinging it again. If you can successfully ping with the firewall disabled, you'll need to configure a rule to allow traffic on port 3389. Don't forget to re-enable your firewall after you've done this.

3. Are you using the Remote Desktop Connection accessory
(i.e. %SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe) to connect to the host machine?

(BTW: telnet will only connect to a telnet server, which is not the same thing as the remote desktop.)

nite_monkey:
1.the error message is on the host machine, because it says it can't start the service (which is listed as started in the services list)
Exact error:
Source~TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager
Event ID~1048
Error Message~Terminal Service start failed. The relevant status code was Error: 0xc004f012.

2.Yes, I can ping myself, and all the other computers in the house can ping my computer, and access the network shares I have.

3.Yes, that is what I was using.

(BTW:BTW: I only used telnet, because almost every post I found on google said to telnet into the computer, and my brother who is a computer technition said that if the remote desktop was working, then a telnet client would connect, and all you would see is a blank screen)

40hz:
Thanks for the feedback. I don't doubt you, I'm just trying to get what's happening clear in my head by eliminating the usual suspects. ;)

OK, are you having any problems with Windows Genuine Advantage, or have you recently reinstalled your OS? Error: 0xc004f012 relates to a licensing issue with your copy of Vista:

0xC004F012    slerror.h    SL_E_VALUE_NOT_FOUND
The Software Licensing Service reported that the call has failed because the value for the input key was not found.
--- End quote ---

Try revalidating Vista by going here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

f0dder:
40hz: telnet can be used to connect to ports other than 23, which is a quick-and-dirty way to test if you can connect to a given machine/service - more useful than taking down a firewall and pinging, since a firewall could easily block either ping or a specific service, but allow the other :)

Revalidating windows sounds like something worth trying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version