ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

kingsoft Internet Security 6 months free

<< < (3/6) > >>

4wd:
I've downloaded and installed it and at the moment it seems to run quite well with minimal system impact, (TaskManager shows 0 CPU across all its processes), chews about 70MB of RAM with kwatch.exe grabbing most of that, (54MB).

Now to see if it impacts my online gaming  :D
-4wd (October 07, 2008, 04:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Kwatch uses alot of Ram mainly because it is checking all processes that are accessing files and checking what they are doing, In this way it can catch and stop unknown malware.-Davidtheo (October 07, 2008, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, it missed picking up a couple of dll's as Trojan.Vundo but then again so did 14 of the 22 virus checkers on VirusTotal.  I'm just lucky I don't have an installed browser it could pollute, (Portable Firefox only, IE has been expunged from the system).  I'm pretty sure it was there before I installed KIS9, so my previous AV didn't pick it up either.

However, the Anti-Spyware did highlight that an unknown dll was one of the Startup Items - so that pointed me in the right direction to remove a few dlls and ini files via an external LiveXP HDD.

What online games do you play?
--- End quote ---

Pretty much only Joint Operations these days, it may be rather old compared to the likes of COD4, GRAW2, etc but it's a lot more fun IMHO.

Otherwise, Solder Of Fortune 1 + 2, Quake, Quake II, etc - all the good old mindlessly violent FPS games

EDIT: Two things that do annoy me though is there's no way to resize the Firewall application window or to sort the programs in the Application Rules list.

wreckedcarzz:
Kwatch uses alot of Ram mainly because it is checking all processes that are accessing files and checking what they are doing, In this way it can catch and stop unknown malware.
-Davidtheo (October 07, 2008, 08:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's my personal concern: When I am coding or gaming, I need that to take importance over EVERYTHING else. I don't need to run into a good game of COD4/GRAW2/GRID only to have my FPS drop from 40 to 5 because my security software wants to scan the items the game is loading, or because I am running out of system resources (Crysis has this issue).

If it could auto-whitelist a list of applications, or had a simple detection system to specify games from normal/malicious applications, it would be a gamer's dream: security without lag, and no setup required.

I have never seen a system that can do that though, yet...

4wd:
That's my personal concern: When I am coding or gaming, I need that to take importance over EVERYTHING else. I don't need to run into a good game of COD4/GRAW2/GRID only to have my FPS drop from 40 to 5 because my security software wants to scan the items the game is loading, or because I am running out of system resources (Crysis has this issue).-wreckedcarzz (October 08, 2008, 12:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

All AntiVirus/Spyware programs do this unless you've turned that functionality off, (at least if they're half-way decent they do).

The question is how much of an impact it has.  PCTools doesn't have much of an impact, then again while I don't mind the firewall, the AV part of it isn't really up to the standards of Avast, etc.

BTW, Kaspersky was one of the AVs that didn't detect the trojan I had and they're supposed to be very good.

wreckedcarzz:
I was talking about automatic detection - I can install and not touch anything and have no issues and the software knows not to do anything until the game executable is no longer running.

4wd:
I was talking about automatic detection - I can install and not touch anything and have no issues and the software knows not to do anything until the game executable is no longer running.
-wreckedcarzz (October 08, 2008, 01:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

But what happens when your "clean" game exe goes to load an infected dll, (or exe), half way through your game?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version