topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: kingsoft Internet Security 6 months free  (Read 21889 times)

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
kingsoft Internet Security 6 months free
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:10 AM »
Kingsoft is giving away 6 month serial keys for Kingsoft Internet Security (KIS9). If any one would like to try this software email me asking for a "6 month serial number for KIS9" at [email protected] and download KIS9 from here /downloads/KIS_International_9_Online_ENG_RTM_20080613.EXE or here http://www.brothersoft.com/download-kingsoft-internet-security-28996.html  :Thmbsup:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: kingsoft Internet Security 6 months free
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Just wondering, as I couldn't find it on the site - a license covers as many computers as you have under your roof, but how much does a license cost (USD)? I have a subscription to PC Tools Internet Security that runs out in a few months, and this looks like a nice, powerful application to take its place...

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:52 PM »
Just wondering, as I couldn't find it on the site - a license covers as many computers as you have under your roof, but how much does a license cost (USD)? I have a subscription to PC Tools Internet Security that runs out in a few months, and this looks like a nice, powerful application to take its place...

Hi wreckedcarzz

One license per computer, the license costs 29.95USD for one year and the payment system is paypal.  :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:10 PM »
here's the link to the main site: http://www.kingsoftr...ch.com/k9/index.aspx

sc_08-10-07_001.png

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 01:10 AM »
Ah, I went to the website but must have misread. :-[ $30 per computer isn't cheap with 5 computers, I'll have to see how the trial goes :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 02:14 AM »
One license per computer, the license costs 29.95USD for one year and the payment system is paypal.  :Thmbsup:

Possibly dumb questions but then I've never used an integrated security suite, I prefer discrete components.

Can I ask exactly what degree of control you have over what components get installed?

Also, say I purchase a license and I then decide not to renew after a year, this should only affect the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware recognition updates, (and any program updates naturally).

Would I be able to uninstall those components and still use the firewall?

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 02:32 AM »

Possibly dumb questions but then I've never used an integrated security suite, I prefer discrete components.
The only dumb question is the one not asked

Can I ask exactly what degree of control you have over what components get installed?
All components are installed you can not just install one or two components.

Also, say I purchase a license and I then decide not to renew after a year, this should only affect the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware recognition updates, (and any program updates naturally).

yes only the virus database update, spyware database updates, program updates, basically anything that gets downloaded in the updates would stop getting downloaded.

Would I be able to uninstall those components and still use the firewall?

No you can not, the firewall would also be uninstalled sorry.

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 02:39 AM »
Ah, I went to the website but must have misread. :-[ $30 per computer isn't cheap with 5 computers, I'll have to see how the trial goes :)

I maybe able to do a deal for you let me check ok

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 04:54 AM »

Thanks for the info and wisdom   :)

I've downloaded and installed it and at the moment it seems to run quite well with minimal system impact, (TaskManager shows 0 CPU across all its processes), chews about 70MB of RAM with kwatch.exe grabbing most of that, (54MB).

Now to see if it impacts my online gaming  :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:55 AM by 4wd »

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 08:55 PM »

Thanks for the info and wisdom   :)

I've downloaded and installed it and at the moment it seems to run quite well with minimal system impact, (TaskManager shows 0 CPU across all its processes), chews about 70MB of RAM with kwatch.exe grabbing most of that, (54MB).

Kwatch uses alot of Ram mainly because it is checking all processes that are accessing files and checking what they are doing, In this way it can catch and stop unknown malware.

What online games do you play?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 12:13 AM »

Kwatch uses alot of Ram mainly because it is checking all processes that are accessing files and checking what they are doing, In this way it can catch and stop unknown malware.

Unfortunately, it missed picking up a couple of dll's as Trojan.Vundo but then again so did 14 of the 22 virus checkers on VirusTotal.  I'm just lucky I don't have an installed browser it could pollute, (Portable Firefox only, IE has been expunged from the system).  I'm pretty sure it was there before I installed KIS9, so my previous AV didn't pick it up either.

However, the Anti-Spyware did highlight that an unknown dll was one of the Startup Items - so that pointed me in the right direction to remove a few dlls and ini files via an external LiveXP HDD.

Pretty much only Joint Operations these days, it may be rather old compared to the likes of COD4, GRAW2, etc but it's a lot more fun IMHO.

Otherwise, Solder Of Fortune 1 + 2, Quake, Quake II, etc - all the good old mindlessly violent FPS games

EDIT: Two things that do annoy me though is there's no way to resize the Firewall application window or to sort the programs in the Application Rules list.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:37 AM by 4wd »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 12:19 AM »

That's my personal concern: When I am coding or gaming, I need that to take importance over EVERYTHING else. I don't need to run into a good game of COD4/GRAW2/GRID only to have my FPS drop from 40 to 5 because my security software wants to scan the items the game is loading, or because I am running out of system resources (Crysis has this issue).

If it could auto-whitelist a list of applications, or had a simple detection system to specify games from normal/malicious applications, it would be a gamer's dream: security without lag, and no setup required.

I have never seen a system that can do that though, yet...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 01:48 AM »
That's my personal concern: When I am coding or gaming, I need that to take importance over EVERYTHING else. I don't need to run into a good game of COD4/GRAW2/GRID only to have my FPS drop from 40 to 5 because my security software wants to scan the items the game is loading, or because I am running out of system resources (Crysis has this issue).

All AntiVirus/Spyware programs do this unless you've turned that functionality off, (at least if they're half-way decent they do).

The question is how much of an impact it has.  PCTools doesn't have much of an impact, then again while I don't mind the firewall, the AV part of it isn't really up to the standards of Avast, etc.

BTW, Kaspersky was one of the AVs that didn't detect the trojan I had and they're supposed to be very good.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:52 AM by 4wd »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 01:50 AM »
I was talking about automatic detection - I can install and not touch anything and have no issues and the software knows not to do anything until the game executable is no longer running.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 01:56 AM »
I was talking about automatic detection - I can install and not touch anything and have no issues and the software knows not to do anything until the game executable is no longer running.

But what happens when your "clean" game exe goes to load an infected dll, (or exe), half way through your game?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 01:58 AM »
If the executable and/or file is in use, it cannot be replaced until it has been unloaded from memory. Until then it is in a read only state.

On top of that, you would need to be running a virus during the game to have this happen anyway - and it would have to be for a particular game, so it usually ends up being a "target" for someone you P.O.ed. This would take a large amount of chance and skill to pull off. It would also require at least one of the following:

A) Navigation to an infected website to download the virus behind the scenes, prepared to destroy that ONE game
B) Unknowingly allow physical access to the machine to insert said virus
C) You to download a file and run it during the game, acting as a good program, but it is really preparing for a malicious strike

Chances of that are slim to null.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:02 AM by wreckedcarzz »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 04:50 AM »
If the executable and/or file is in use, it cannot be replaced until it has been unloaded from memory. Until then it is in a read only state.

I never mentioned anything about an already running process being replaced, you've read too much into my question:

But what happens when your "clean" game exe goes to load an infected dll, (or exe), half way through your game?

That's any dll or exe, it need not have been installed by the game.  Games/programs are allowed to call OS executables aren't they?

After all, that's how they run in the first place by relying on the underlying OS.

The infection doesn't need to target that particular game you're playing, it only needs to reside in a file that is called by another program, it doesn't even have to be called by your game.

But by white-listing the game executable, however, you might possibly have white-listed any process started by it.

PS. Sorry David for hijacking your announcement  :-[
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:11 AM by 4wd »

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 07:43 PM »

Unfortunately, it missed picking up a couple of dll's as Trojan.Vundo but then again so did 14 of the 22 virus checkers on VirusTotal.  I'm just lucky I don't have an installed browser it could pollute, (Portable Firefox only, IE has been expunged from the system).  I'm pretty sure it was there before I installed KIS9, so my previous AV didn't pick it up either.

However, the Anti-Spyware did highlight that an unknown dll was one of the Startup Items - so that pointed me in the right direction to remove a few dlls and ini files via an external LiveXP HDD.

Pretty much only Joint Operations these days, it may be rather old compared to the likes of COD4, GRAW2, etc but it's a lot more fun IMHO.

Otherwise, Solder Of Fortune 1 + 2, Quake, Quake II, etc - all the good old mindlessly violent FPS games

EDIT: Two things that do annoy me though is there's no way to resize the Firewall application window or to sort the programs in the Application Rules list.

4wd Can you please send me the dll's and if you can find the exe calling then that would also be great please send to [email protected] Please rar them and put the password 123654.

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 07:53 PM »
hijacking your announcement

Hijack away it gives me a way to explain the program.

1, You are right the process can not be replaced when it is in memory however it can be replace when it is not in use.

2, A Good auto-protect service will know if an older file is being replaced by a new program (and check this new file).

3, You can disable the auto-protect if it is slowing your gaming down to much.

4, I will ask the development team about whitelists for the auto-protect however, when a file gets changed it would then be removed from the whitelist and checked again

(edited wording)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 07:55 PM by Davidtheo »

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 08:00 PM »

I can not see the Internet Security impacting on these games to much. We play WOW and the Kingsoft online Games here and We have on problem.

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 08:16 PM »

So you could say the anti-spyware did notify you of a problem :D even if it did not know the Trojan.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 01:47 AM »
4wd Can you please send me the dll's and if you can find the exe calling then that would also be great please send to [email protected] Please rar them and put the password 123654.

On it's way, rename the extension to rar and you're good to go.

The executable that installed them was self-deleting and I can't pinpoint where it came from, (probably a recent LAN party).

It installs itself into an autorun area of registry and from there attaches itself to any programs you run, (eg. explorer.exe).

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 01:54 AM »

I can not see the Internet Security impacting on these games to much. We play WOW and the Kingsoft online Games here and We have on problem.

I think you might find that your connection to the internet is a little bit faster than mine, (256/64 ADSL)  :(

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 02:13 AM »

On it's way, rename the extension to rar and you're good to go.

The executable that installed them was self-deleting and I can't pinpoint where it came from, (probably a recent LAN party).

It installs itself into an autorun area of registry and from there attaches itself to any programs you run, (eg. explorer.exe).

I got it now and I have send them to our Anti-virus team for checking and cleaning. These will get added into the updates when we have checked them.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 03:59 PM »

I never mentioned anything about an already running process being replaced, you've read too much into my question:

That's any dll or exe, it need not have been installed by the game.  Games/programs are allowed to call OS executables aren't they?

After all, that's how they run in the first place by relying on the underlying OS.

The infection doesn't need to target that particular game you're playing, it only needs to reside in a file that is called by another program, it doesn't even have to be called by your game.

But by white-listing the game executable, however, you might possibly have white-listed any process started by it.

PS. Sorry David for hijacking your announcement  :-[

My mistake :-[

Lack of sleep = lack of brainpower

(Sorry about the hijack also :-[)