ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mouser's Zone

New Portable Mode for My Apps

<< < (2/5) > >>

AbteriX:
WOW prima, thank you mouser  :Thmbsup:

Falcon_four:
Great!! :up:

Thanks Mouser!!!!

>>>>F-4>>>>

superboyac:
mouser, a comment on your portable feature.

If I understand correctly, to install on a USB drive, I just run your installer and specify the USB drive path for the install.  Wouldn't it be better to just be able to unzip to the USB drive manually?  The reason is that I don't want a computer that already has your software locally installed to get confused on which installation is the current one.  For example, I have FARR installed locally, but I want it on the USB drive.  If i run the installer, now the Windows Add/Remove program will think I'm updating the current install or add a new (duplicate entry).  And then what happens to my local start menu?  Does it get confused?  Am I thinking of this correctly?  I'm having the same questions with Linkman Pro.  I just think portables work better as zips, no install...just for this situation.

mouser:
If I understand correctly, to install on a USB drive, I just run your installer and specify the USB drive path for the install.  Wouldn't it be better to just be able to unzip to the USB drive manually?
--- End quote ---

No. You do NOT have to run the installer.

The installers I create are actually "zip-compatible-exes", which means you can unzip them exactly as if they were .zip files, and then just run the programs from the unzipped location.

superboyac:
If I understand correctly, to install on a USB drive, I just run your installer and specify the USB drive path for the install.  Wouldn't it be better to just be able to unzip to the USB drive manually?
--- End quote ---

No. You do NOT have to run the installer.

The installers I create are actually "zip-compatible-exes", which means you can unzip them exactly as if they were .zip files, and then just run the programs from the unzipped location.
-mouser (April 20, 2009, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
I see.  i never knew you could do that.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version