ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[sorted] how to save/convert image to one with transparency for word doc ?

(1/2) > >>

tomos:
I have tiff black & white images (no greyscale, just B/W) - I want to create files with transparent backgrounds (i.e. get rid of white)
I then want to place these in Word Processor file (I'm actually using Textmaker but word doc format)

I've tried using Gimp 2.2 -
it produces images that distort in word file when transparent - I tried GIF & PNG
Also have an old copy of Photoshop (5.5) which was unsuccessful too

What I do is to put them into a text or picture frame in Textmaker & they fill the frame - i.e. lose proportion or whatever you call it
This doesnt happen when saved without transparency ... hopefully it's not just a problem with Textmaker ...

is there another format I could use or a different programme/converter
I have to do about 20 images so can do them manually just so long as it holds ratio in wordprocessor

TIA  :)  Tom

tomos:
I'm beginning to suspect it just doesnt work -
just tried Photofiltre with the same results with both PNG and GIF

as to where the problem lies ...

still open to trying any suggestions at any rate

[edit]..tried opening the doc file in SWriter (Star Office) - that couldnt even handle the non-transparent gifs (they filled up the whole page never mind proportion ;)) so I didnt go any further ...[/edit]

VideoInPicture:
From my experience, Word 2007 does support transparency in PNG images and it also has a transparency tool that lets you select a color in your image and use that as the transparency mask.

tomos:
From my experience, Word 2007 does support transparency in PNG images and it also has a transparency tool that lets you select a color in your image and use that as the transparency mask.
-VideoInPicture (October 03, 2008, 02:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bizarre,
I took a break and it's working perfectly now - sometimes I think computers & software are like people - they dont like it when you push things too hard and the more frustrated you get with things the less likely they are to work :-\

In the Picture Properties box Textmaker has
Detect automatically & No Transparency options under "Transparent Colour" (default setting is Detect automatically) and as I say,
it's now working perfectly with transparent GIF files

yours, :bemused:   ;D

40hz:
Let's get geeky for a moment, shall we? :Thmbsup:

If you're comfortable with the command line (horrors!!! :tellme:), you could use ImageMagick.

Download ImageMagick from this link:
http://www.imagemagick.org/download/binaries/ImageMagick-6.4.4-1-Q16-windows-dll.exe

Do the install and follow the instructions for testing it. (You'll need to open a CMD prompt window to do this).

Once you've installed ImageMagick, create a folder on your desktop and put all your TIFF files into it.

Open a CMD window and cd to whatever folder your TIFFs are in. Run a dir to be sure your in the correct folder.

Enter the following command:

convert -transparent white filename.tif filename.gif

Where filename is the (what else?) name of your file.

You will now have a new GIF file that has a transparent background. YOWZA! ;D

ImageMagick can do a lot of other really amazing things.  8) (It's also the base subsystem for 90% of the graphic apps out in the FOSS community.) Check it out. Well worth the effort it takes to get comfortable with it.

Hope this helped. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version