ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Creating a document template..

(1/2) > >>

anjan_oleti:
I need to create several long documents.. which are identical, except for certain details which change with every document.
These details are repeated at various places in the document.
For eg. a "name" used, would appear at various places in a document.. and the name would differ for each document

I want to create a template wherein I would enter a new "name" only once.. and it would update that name in all the relevant places in the document.
Like the "name", there would be several other items to be filled at various places.

After all the items which change with every document are entered once, the template would generate a new document complete with new details.

I am looking to do this without much coding-like-stuff involved.
If there is a user-friendly software to do this, it would be great... Any leads??

Thanks!

VideoInPicture:
I'm assuming you are doing this in Microsoft Word.
Here are the instructions on how to do it:

(1) In the places where you want to enter the text to be repeated, go insert a "Text Form Field". Where this button is depends on whether you are using Word 2003 or 2007.
(2) Select one of the Text Form Fields, go Insert -> Bookmark and give it a descriptive name.
(3) In the places where you want the text to be repeated, go Insert -> Cross Reference. In the "Reference Type" drop down box that shows up, select "Bookmarks". Select the bookmark you created in Step 2.

anjan_oleti:
...go insert a "Text Form Field". Where this button is depends on whether you are using Word 2003 or 2007...
-VideoInPicture (October 03, 2008, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the help!
I use Word 2007... but, am unable to find that button, even after some desperate searching  :-[
Plzzz elaborate... Thanks!

VideoInPicture:
In Word 2007 it is under the "Developer" portion of the ribbon -> Controls -> Text. You could also use the legacy version of the text form field under -> Controls -> Legacy Tools -> Text Form Field

cranioscopical:
Hello anjan_oleti,
You might also look at TheFormLetterMachine Click Here.
This is software, written by Mouser, specifically written to help with this kind of situation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version