ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Programs you can use during a financial meltdown!

(1/8) > >>

zridling:
[nod to Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols]

What software can you use when you're out of money?

* Microsoft Office: OpenOffice.

* Quicken: GnuCash.

* SnagIt: Screenshot Captor.

* Outlook: Thunderbird.

* SharePoint: Alfresco.

* Windows: Linux._____________________________
Other suggestions?

VideoInPicture:
Instead of Mathematica or Matlab: GNU Octave
Instead of Photoshop: GIMP or Paint.Net

However, for office programs, I would still pay for Microsoft Office 2007 simply because I think the ribbon interface is vastly superior to what's on offer from the open source community.

zridling:
[VideoInPicture]: However, for office programs, I would still pay for Microsoft Office 2007 simply because I think the ribbon interface is vastly superior to what's on offer from the open source community.
--- End quote ---

I can't dispute the elegance of the ribbon, even though I prefer Lotus Symphony's more space-efficient tabs w/toolbars and sidebar. Jensen Harris is a great guy. See http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2008/03/12/the-story-of-the-ribbon.aspx if others are curious about the history of the ribbon.

cranioscopical:
I used to use the software that came with my scanner, but they have made that more difficult now. Besides, I can no longer afford the paper onto which I could print some $100-bills, nor the cart which I'd need to transport enough bills to pay for a loaf of bread.

zridling:
Hey, make sure you get an old copy of Adobe Photoshop 6 if you're needing to print money!  :P  It was the last version that allowed it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version