ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Nice mention of DonationCoder in Windows Secrets Newsletter

<< < (3/3)

jgpaiva:
Cranioscopical: What really upsets me isn't the fact that they self-promote them, it's the fact that they do so by attacking the sites they requested the users to submit!

I just don't think it's fair, they should have said: "please send us your favourite sites so that we can say our newsletter is better than them" (yeah, right :P).

cranioscopical:
jgpaiva,

Both you and Carol inferred a different meaning than did I.
I certainly respect your point of view and, in this case, I don't happen to share it.

By the way, diverging from the point a little, even here on DC, there exists part of the problem to which WS refers.
In ANY forum where individuals are free to respond, a neophyte cannot immediately discern whom to trust.
For example:
Newcomer asks for help with a dilemma... for the newcomer, this an urgent matter which needs fixing NOW...
three people respond with different solutions (all intent on being helpful)...
two of the three offer flawless solutions... one overlooks a critical point and inadvertently sows the seeds of a small disaster.
To the newcomer, ALL of the advice seems logical and knowledgeable.
My goodness, when someone poses a question here even I am free to offer a suggestion (and the newcomer hasn't yet discovered that I'm  a complete imbecile).

Whom to trust?

I'll make up my own mind about whether or not to trust the contributors to WS but I can understand the proposition that it could be them.

Since the WS agenda is to establish its own bona fides in this area, it seems entirely reasonable to me to discuss a perceived shortcoming elsewhere, rather than to promote the many and various benefits belonging to the members of a list of favourites.

When I advertise, I don't immediately extol the virtues of the competition. I try to highlight what my own services can offer

I hope you don't see this reply as offensive. :)

Darwin:
Well stated, Chris :Thmbsup: However, I think Brian should have balanced the negative comments with some positives about the forums that were recommended. He did ask respondents to tell him what people like about the forums in addition to soliciting what they don't like. Anyway, a generous reading of the piece is that inclusion on the list is a recommendation and the summary of what one reader dislikes simply a cautionary note. I think it's great that DC got a mention  :)

Stoic Joker:
If all the feedback you get is positive ... You're probably being lied to...

Newbies occasionally get flamed in any circle not just the Internet ... and some questions really do warrant a smack in the forehead.

Here's (an example) a question I really got (in it's entirety) from one of the client's where I work.

"Can you tell me why I can't send Email to Germany from my AOL Email account on my home computer"

Now... I manage the client's network under contract so I'm obligated to come up with an answer, however there are several problems with the question.

I'm only responsible for their Exchange server, which (as usual) is running flawlessly.

I don't work for AOL so have no access to their server status updates.

The only thing I'm being given as a target, is an entire frigging country.

If I encountered this question on a forum, it would be best for all parties involved if I did not answer (and I usually don't) as tact is something I'm frequently in short supply of by the end of the day.

No I am not advocating newbie bashing. I'm simple trying to show how/why it can happen. It isn't wrong, it's just best kept in check, and one of the things I like about this site is it that (IMO) does not happen here. ...Other people (with thinner skins) may however perceive answers given differently...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version