ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Testing tool that fills up memory

(1/2) > >>

Notok:
Another tool that would be good for beta/QA testing would be a small tool that just fills up your system's RAM, so I/we could test applications under low memory conditions. This would be like those sketchy tools that "free up" system memory by filling up memory with something big (but probably essentially empty) and then unloading it, but in this case it would just keep it there until you tell it to unload. It would be nice to be able to select how much RAM it should try to take by both percentage and MB. I'm thinking it might also be nice if it could fill up memory with a lot of smaller (empty?) files instead of one big one so that it would (theoretically) fill up the page file as well.

Hopefully this isn't too big of a request.

VideoInPicture:
What you are thinking of are stressor tools and they exists to test a variety of system functions. One memory stressor I've found is from the MSDN magazine: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163613.aspx

It's called EatMem and is a command line tool written in C# with the source code available in that article. I've compiled the source code and attached it along with the source code in the attachment below. The program is hard coded to stress test the memory by randomly allocating and deallocation between 10%-70% of the memory. You can specify how long it runs for in the command line parameters.

The exe is in the attached file under the \bin\release folders. You need to start up the command line (CMD) in Windows and type in the path to the exe file. For example:
C:\Desktop\TestRun\bin\release\EatMem.exe -d1 will run the program for 1 minute.

Let me know if you need this wrapped up in a graphical interface.

Notok:
Aha! Excellent, thank you much! A wrapper might actually be nice.. maybe something that minimizes to the tray with a red "!" to indicate that it's running? If that would take more than a little while then don't worry about it, but it would be nice indeed :) I'm familliar with commandline operation, I just know that I'll end up running it and forgetting about it  :-\

Notok:
So it looks like this pretty much just eats virtual memory. Is there something that will eat up "physical" memory?

f0dder:
I'm thinking it might also be nice if it could fill up memory with a lot of smaller (empty?) files instead of one big one so that it would (theoretically) fill up the page file as well.-Notok (October 02, 2008, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Huh? :huh:

Pagefile is utilized when you try to use more memory than is physically available in your system - it doesn't really have to do with "using files".

So it looks like this pretty much just eats virtual memory. Is there something that will eat up "physical" memory?
-Notok (October 06, 2008, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Nope, not really doable without writing a driver.

But iirc there's a boot.ini switch for limiting the amount of physical memory Windows will use - that's probably close enough to what you want. Yeah, obviously does require a reboot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version