topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dumb question?  (Read 6263 times)

Betsy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Colorado!
    • View Profile
    • Dying for Answers
    • Donate to Member
Dumb question?
« on: November 15, 2005, 08:19 PM »
I'm wondering if FaRR can find and open URLs.  I didn't see anything in the help menu which explained how.
BTW, I'm new here, and I really like the software I've downloaded so far (FaRR, TicTocTitle).  This looks like a great group.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dumb question?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 08:55 PM »
Yes, FindRun can open urls.... it involves alias' which are things that many people have a difficult understanding fully (well, at least I do).  Mouser answered this question in the forum, but I'm sure he'll be along in a bit to tout their benefits one more time!!  One thing that he is hoping to do with the new version coming out is get some more documentation out there.  But, until he answers the question, search the forum on the word alias.  It will get you where you need to be.

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 09:02 PM »
two different issues here..

first, F+R can search your internet explorer bookmarks and launch them; i think it sets up by default to search the favorites folder of internet explorer; if not you can add it.  if you use firefox you'll have to wait until we add searching of firefox bookmarks which is planned.

second, launching urls by typing them, is what kfitting was talking about, and yes it's very easy to do, but the current version doesn't come with any aliases built in.

download the mini alias set here: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1202.0

and youll be able to go to urls just by typing them.
the new version out this month will come with a ton of built in commands like this.

Betsy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Colorado!
    • View Profile
    • Dying for Answers
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 09:23 PM »
I went to the link you posted, but I got one of those "This page cannot be displayed" messages.  I tried several times with the same result.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 09:41 PM »
sorry, my bad - must have forgotten to move that file to the new server; it's fixed now  :up:

Betsy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Colorado!
    • View Profile
    • Dying for Answers
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 09:47 PM »
Got it, and it works great!  This is really cool stuff!
My own website is my homepage, which means that every time I launch IE, it creates a hit on my site counter.  This is artificially inflating my site visit count.  Now I can just use FaRR to go straight to the sites I want, without visiting my homepage first.  Awesome!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 09:57 PM »
great :)
by the way you could also make an alias group of some common websites you like to visit, and give it a name like "myweb", and then when you type "myweb" it will present you with a menu of them.

ps.
i took a look at the PublishAmerica site and was pleasently surprised by what i read (http://www.publisham...a.com/benefits.htm); if you ever feel like it, i think there are probably some people in this forum who wouldn't mind hearing about your experiences having your book published, etc. (not on this post, but on a post in the living room).