ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PlayOnLinux might be what the Linux world needs to succeed

(1/10) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
I am a big fan of Linux - the idea, the operating system itself, the whole "community" system of thought and whatnot... but no one with any power gives a hoot about it. Hardware companies don't support it, Microsoft laughs at it, and the old "Mac OS X is based off UNIX" is getting old. Yet, surprisingly, the OS and community behind it lives on. I find it amazing, but thats just my point of view.

Anyways, I was googling around earlier for DirectX for WINE, a popular Windows-application handler that is capable of executing WIN32 EXE files via use of the Win32 API. In other words, EXE's are not Windows only anymore. While on my ignorant bliss of a journey through google, I stumbled on this program PlayOnLinux. It claims that you can run a wide amount of Windows applications on it (including games) with great ease. My experience?

It makes Windows look stupid. The install process was easy, and while I had to go into the terminal the first time to start the app and get to the options to activate the Ubuntu Main Menu entry, it was a no-brainer thereafter. It updates itself, takes you through a process to get all your required prerequisites (simply hitting Next a few times), and your set down in a simple GUI. Some scanning of the forum (documentation is on its way) reveals how to obtain, install, and use programs, and the website layout is smart and professional. :Thmbsup:

I can't yet speak for the program's ability to execute games (Halo Combat Evolved is being copied to my external hard drive right now), however it seems very promising. :)

Anyone here have experience with PlayOnLinux? Thoughts?

-Brandon

zridling:
Although I don't have any Windows programs I haven't found equal or better alternatives for under Linux, I'll install it, play around, and come back here.
I am a big fan of Linux - the idea, the operating system itself, the whole "community" system of thought and whatnot... but no one with any power gives a hoot about it. Hardware companies don't support it, Microsoft laughs at it, and the old "Mac OS X is based off UNIX" is getting old. Yet, surprisingly, the OS and community behind it lives on.
--- End quote ---

Becoming Microsoft-free has been such a relief for me. It's like cleaning out your garage... and car... and basement... and attic... and closets, and finding you have a huge new house. The hardest habit to break was not rebooting out of habit.

"...no one with any power gives a hoot about it"
--- End quote ---
I presume you mean on the desktop. The Linux Foundation would beg to differ, among many major corporations.

Microsoft laughs at it, and the old "Mac OS X is based off UNIX" is getting old.
--- End quote ---
Microsoft's biggest competitor in the highly profitable server, web, and SaaS sectors is Linux. Cheaper to buy a service contract than a volume license. And OS X is based on AT&T's proprietary, but free version of Unix, BSD, which under its license allows for proprietary commercial use; that is, for the software released under the license to be incorporated into proprietary commercial products. In case anyone is interested, here's a breakdown of this license and how confusing it can get (and you'll quickly see why Apple chose it!):

http://www.linfo.org/bsdlicense.html

f0dder:
BSD license is much less confusing than GPL, and is true freedom, not the twisted definition the GNU people have. GPL isn't free at all - sure, it keeps projects open and available, but not free...

Oh, and OSX isn't just based on BSD, but also on the Mach microkernel (which really has nothing to do with mac/apple), and stuff from Steve Jobs' failed NeXT project... just to set the record straight :)

zridling:
Wow, thanks Brandon! That even played an old Windows chess game I bought a few years back.  :-*

wreckedcarzz:
I managed to get Halo installed (somewhat, I got lost and confused) and after a bit of file searching and figuring out exactly what happened, I was able to watch the cinematic intro cutscences and get to in-game menus (audio only, with interaction based on my photographic memory of the thing).

It still is a dead end for that, but at least it is a large step in the right direction. Now just have to wait for WINE to become more compatible...

EDIT: I hit Post just as zridling's post showed up in Pop-Up Cody. Good to know you got it working :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version