topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ? comparing folder contents to sync - for home use - not source code  (Read 9746 times)

xmlguy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
over the years i have accumulated a lot of Hard drives, kids siblings etc - this question is about general daily contnet not source code

I repeatedly copied some of them over... 
Now I need to sort this stuff out.

I have a 8 to 12 GB of data to sort out. Contents as emails, pictures, software ISO etc. :tellme:

Is there a tool for comparing folder contents and tell me if the files are identical and sort all the unique files into one folder.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ? comparing folder contents to sync - for home use - not source code
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:00 AM »
Best I've any experience with is shareware called DoubleKiller Pro. DC member BrotherS gave it two thumbs up in a mini-review here. Another option is LookDisk. This is a tool that combines text and file search with duplicate file detection. The link is for the last freeware version (2.5). The latest version is shareware and is available from Iconico. I've got the latest version installed but have not really used it for this purpose - already had the DoubleKiller licence!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ? comparing folder contents to sync - for home use - not source code
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:08 AM »
Oops. Didn't read the key last line in your post:

Is there a tool for comparing folder contents and tell me if the files are identical and sort all the unique files into one folder.

I don't *think* either LookDisk or DoubleKiller Pro will do this... Be a killer feature, though! Keep your eyes on XYplorer, come to think of it (note the link is to the road map for the developmental future - finding dupes is pretty far down the list...). The developer is working on adding a duplicate file finding feature to it and, as it is a file manager that is built on a search engine, he might be willing to consider adding this capability in.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ? comparing folder contents to sync - for home use - not source
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 03:57 AM »
comparing folder contents and tell me if the files are identical and sort all the unique files into one folder.

If the files are different, but have the same names, do you want them automatically re-named, or overwritten?