topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Checking internet connection regularly for possible disconnection?....  (Read 8178 times)

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Is there any service that regularly checks an internet connection of a computer (windows VPS in my case - not a web page), that notifies the user when there is a disconnection?....

Of course this service must be in another place so that it can notify of a possible interruption in the internet connection of the windows...... can be by pinging or by refreshing a web page or other ways...

does anyone knows such a service?....

second program I look for is a software that emails me when the VPS (windows 2003) is restarted without my attendance.....

Any here knows such softwares?....

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Checking internet connection regularly for possible disconnection?....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 01:59 PM »
It looks like PA Server Monitor Free Edition may suit you. Both for remote pinging to check the server availability and for being notified of server reboots (as long as you can connect to the Windows VPS Event Log). Of course, you'll have to have it running on another computer that you keep on 24/7 (may be another server, your own PC, etc.). It can be run as a service.
I haven't tried it, though, so i can't tell you how well it works, but it looks promising. If you install it, let us know how it goes.
I'll have what she's having
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:27 PM by city_zen »

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 02:15 PM »

hi city zen...

Thank you for this reply.... At first glance it looks good but what I look for is a third party service that hosts the software and pings my vps..... (like the services that check the website uptime --- but in my case I look for one that checks my VPS windows internet uptime - not a web page-- may be it can do by pinging?.. or may be I open a web page of the service and it refresher on my VPS browser regularly and when not refreshed the service notifies me when there is a downtime...)

thank you anyway for the reply...

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 03:04 PM »
Hi again, gorin  :)

Ok, then it's probably simpler, but you'll need two tools/services to do that

1) Windows VPS monitoring: if your server can respond to remote pings, then it's fairly trivial. Just get *any* website/ping monitoring service and you're set. There are a number of free ones around, Unialert.com looks good. You can always check out the WebHostingTalk forum for more recommendations.

2) Restart notification: for this you'll probably need a software like the one I mentioned before (PA Server Monitor Free Edition) and keep it running on your VPS

I'll have what she's having
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:28 PM by city_zen »

gorinw13

• Joined in 2006
  • Hi There !!!!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 03:26 PM »
thank you city zen for the help  :)