ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019

<< < (62/76) > >>

IainB:
@mouser: To answer your Q, from my perspective:
The described episodic and non-fatal CHS problem of tardy display of the Title text copied/pasted into the Memo pane is still occurring - e.g., I noticed it sometimes occurring yesterday, whilst I was doing  a fair amount of clipping and editing in CHS.

As I think I have already pointed out, the problem is nothing new, having been observed by me for a long time and on different laptops and versions of Windows. Because it is episodic, it would probably only be observed by people who were - like me - periodically engaged in doing a lot of editing of clip Titles, with the Title text being copied/pasted into the Memo pane, from the same or another existing clip. Even then, unless the user was - like me - an analytical user accusomed to testing software, the problem might well pass unnoticed.

Similarly with the tooth-grindingly chronic, laggy scrolling refresh timing problem, it seems. Fortunately, that seems to have been almost fully fixed now (thankyou very much!), with CHS most of the time now being/feeling blazingly fast by comparison with its earlier performance levels. Such a great improvement. I am now getting the sub-second response times I would expect and like to get from CHS on my computer system. As one inevitably becomes accustomed to this new, faster level of ergonomic performance, it of course reduces one's tolerance/expectations for delays even further, so that I can now very occasionally perceive those very brief, almost imperceptible, and intermittent lags that might still manifest for some so far inexplicable reason. These are minor imperfections. It's all about "better. faster, bigger or smaller", I suppose.

Two things that I have thought might be desirable improvements:

* (a) In addition to the existing fixed or variable text strings that can be inserted into the clip Title field, for my purposes at least it could be useful for the Title field to be able to be filled by the first "n" characters in the string of the first line of text in a clip (set as a default user parameter). This could be a time-saver.
* (b) The Notes field to always automatically include the source URL for clips captured from any web browser. This currently only seems to work in CHS if the browser is Firefox, or something, despite the Clipboard apparently always containing that metadata anyway. This too could be a time-saver.

IainB:
I have accidentally discovered how to consistently reproduce this obscure "error" - except it is NOT an error at all, as CHS seems to be doing exactly what it was probably designed to do.

What I have "discovered" is that the Title field in the Memo pane seems to be able to accept multiple lines of pasted text, including line feeds - I'm not sure what the max text limit might be.
So, if you copy a string which has an invisible linefeed character embedded at the end and then paste it into the Title field in the Memo pane, the result will be as follows:

* (a) The text and the line feed are pasted in correctly to the Memo pane and the cursor in the Title field rests at the last character displayed - which is the line feed - thus the preceding text will have been scrolled up (out of sight) and the invisible line feed character is all that the user "sees" in the Title field window of the Memo pane.

* (b) In the Grid pane, the first line of the the Title text string is displayed.
Thus, when the Memo pane is refreshed, the Title field then reverts to displaying just the first line of text, as was already being displayed in the Grid pane. So, the apparent delay in displaying the first line of text is not a delay at all.

Far from it being an "error", I would suggest that this is an undocumented feature of CHS which could be turned into a rather useful feature for users of CHS, by the simple expedient of making the Title field window in the Memo pane able to be draggable-down by the user, so as to expand its depth to display "n" more lines of title text, as may be required by the user.

mouser:
awesome find. nice to have another mystery solved.
but i'd consider that a bug -- you shouldn't be able to have a title with newlines in it. I will fix.

IainB:
I had forgotten to note this as I had become so accustomed to working around it:
When editing text in the body of a clip, the "standard" Windows text editing hotkeys seem to work OK, including, for example:

* Ctrl+Backspace: deletes the word and space preceding (to the left of) the cursor.
* Ctrl+Delete: deletes the word and space following (to the right of) the cursor..
However, these hotkeys do NOT seem to work this way when editing text in most/any of the other fields in CHS which can hold editable text - but they probably should.

IainB:
This is a minor issue. I thought it was occurring because of something I had done, but if it is, then I can't figure out what I have done!
This window saying a new version of CHS v2.39.0 is available always pops up at CHS start, even though the version being executed is definitely v2.39.0 (or at least, it thinks it is and that is the version number given in the file version field for that .exe file).
When I installed this version, I copied it from a .ZIP "portable" file, rather than use an installer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version