ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019

<< < (48/76) > >>

Armando:
OK, thanks mouser.  Maybe DCUpdater should then only check those apps that really depend on it (if any) to get updated -- like older versions of your tools.
For all others, when they check if there's an update or not : if they're portable, the users are taken to the website, if they're not, DCUpdater is started, etc. Or something like that... Whatever. Thanks again!

dcwul62:

Please allow me to comment on the matter of updating a portable version.

As for me, I am using a 3rd party tool (Beyond Compare) to do a foldercompare of the existing portable version with the new, extracted folder and only update what is necessary, such as the .exe or .chm files.
Folders like Backups, Database, Presetviews and .ini, .dat files, i.e. 'user'-files/folders to be skipped.

Maybe, one time in future, a small 'PortableUpdater' cud be added?
Or
Alternatively have a portable update zip, containing the changed files and folders only?

-

rjbull:
As for me, I am using a 3rd party tool (Beyond Compare) to do a foldercompare of the existing portable version with the new, extracted folder and only update what is necessary-dcwul62 (October 10, 2014, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why not use an unarchiver that checks for new/changed files?  I use the one built into my favourite file manager, Total Commander.  It gives various options, a particularly useful one being Overwrite all older.

dcwul62:
Yes, there definitely are a number of tools around doing the same thing.
It is a matter of personal taste I suppose.

I donot use Total Commander, but Directory Opus.
Just counted the number of clicks to get to  the below view (around 13). It does not support drag and drop, so you have to
click, click, expand, click ... to select folder 1 and click,click, click... to select folder 2.
On top I need to do some window resizing to see the differences, etc.
After the job that I again need to some extra clicks to close the view and and resize window panels back to normal again.

=
=

Now within Beyond Compare the steps are kept to an absolute minimum. Rightclick folder 1, right click folder b, compare is launched.

=

=

=
=

all that said, I guess for Mouser it is not a big issue to create a portable update or something  :-)

IainB:
@rjbull and @dcwul62: If you open the .ZIP file for the latest portable version and then select and copy all its contents to the installed portable proggie's folder, doesn't Windows Explorer check first and ask you if you want to install newer/older versions and/or overwrite, etc.?
I use xplorer² which enables file comparison and all that sort of thing too, but it is not necessary for updating "portable" proggie folders, since Windows Explorer does the folder contents compare by default, before copying files across. This is on Win8.1 PRO-64, but I think it was just the same on Win7.

Just a thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version