topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: CLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019  (Read 465838 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How do I get rid of that bubble sound when I paste?  I unchecked the box to turn off the sound when I copy something to the clipboard, but I can't find the one for paste.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
must be a bug if its making a sound when you uncheck that option.  as a workaround until the next bugfix release you should be able to just delete the filename in that option.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok, thanks.  That works.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
beta update to version 1.10.02 is now released (1.10.01 had a bug).
has some minor but useful improvements.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 01:42 AM by mouser »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love this update!
The new clip merge is very good. Now, only one small request: a right-click menu when several clips are selected, so that the merge option can be selected there instead of going to edit->merge.

Other than that, it works great! :Thmbsup:

(BTW, i've just found out about the modify feature, and i'm loving chs even more, this is very handy!)

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
beta update to version 1.10.02 is now released (1.10.01 had a bug).
has some minor but useful improvements.
According to the About dialog box, I'm now running 1.10.03, so I'm ahead of you.  ;)

The new merge function works well and meets my needs.  However, I'm not so sure a new user--evaluating the program for the first time and looking for append functionality--would discover this immediately.  (I don't think I would.)  This is where having a new hotkey with the associated description copy append would be more appealing--and intuitive--to the novice user evaluating the program.  But for the experienced user, the current merge implementation works well.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i think an append hotkey is a good idea, and i will endeavor to add it as well.
also agree with jgpaiva about right click context menu.

ps.
you can customize the separator string between merge clips from the options; i was thinking that when you trigger a merge it should probably pop that separate up in a dialog and let you customize it.

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
You can customize the separator string between merge clips from the options; I was thinking that when you trigger a merge it should probably pop that separate up in a dialog and let you customize it.
I would have placed a merge button on the clip-listing button bar that includes the append string.  The merge button would remain grayed out until two or more clips were chosen.  Such a button-and-string-box combo will need a popup description explaining their function.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
According to the About dialog box, I'm now running 1.10.03, so I'm ahead of you.  ;)
Yesterday mouser changed one minor thing in the find & replace dialog, thus the new version numbering.

I'm not sure about this, but i think my chs isn't storing the "separator to use between merged clips" field, as it stays right if i change it, but if i close chs and restart it, it'll be the default one again.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
jgpaiva you were right - the merge separator option was not being saved..
fixed in latest update along with some other requested features.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey mouser, just wondering if support for different formats is coming for CHS.  Also, I noticed CHS takes up ~12 meg of ram even when minimized to the tray.  I know some people don't mind heavy ram usage... but, even when it's minimized? 

Each release gets more robust, keep up the good work!

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
kfitting - try version 1.10.05 - i tried to optimize memory usage on minimize - should be dramatically less.

support for different formats: yes, it is coming.
support for images, rtf, etc.
as well as the ability to specify some exclusions for programs to ignore1, etc.

i am very much interested in hearing from people who use chs as to what their top requests are so i can concentrate on those.

right now it seems that image support seems to be the #1 requested feature.

1 jgpaiva reminded me i implemented this already
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 08:41 PM by mouser »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've seen this feature on CLCL, and found it quite useful.
Some apps use different keys for pasting (actually, i only know one, emacs).
If it was easy to implement, i'd like a way to specify that if it is pasting to an app listed, chs would use a different keystroke for doing it.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice work mouser... I feel better!  I will admit to being confused between your post and the changelist what with "dramatically" and "not dramatically" being very opposite sounding!

Good to hear other formats are in the works.  I personally favor html/rtf over images, but hey, go with what the masses want.  Thanks again,

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
oops, meant to say "dramatically" and typed "not dramatically" by mistake.
you *should* see a *dramatic* change in the memory usage once minimized.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yay! You made the options window wider! There goes my problem with windows 'large' fonts! Cool!
*maybe another undocumented bugfix* (well, it wasn't even a bug since very few people would even notice....

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
new version 1.11.01 updated - pasting should be MUCH faster now (hopefully no less stable).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
new version (2.13.01) has been updated; i'll probably update it again in near future to implement more feature requests, but i wanted to get this version up because it now has an extremely useful new function which can show your favorites and in fact the entire clipboard tree in the quick pop-up paste menu (ctrl+alt+q by default).

note: you might want to go to your options and change the max # of quick paste clips to something like 15 or 20, so that the Favorites and AllClips menu items get shortcuts.

Screenshot - 4_14_2007 , 3_33_33 AM.pngCLIPBOARD HELP+SPELL LATEST VERSION INFO THREAD - v2.46.0 - Dec 30, 2019

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New update -- main changes are better printing options and abilities.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's most useful. Thanks very much.
Now I can select as many or as few items as I want and print them to whichever printer I choose.

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for 1.15.01!

Did you decide not to (or forget to) PECompact the main .exe this time? My new .exe is 9MB :-

ClipboardHelpAndSpell.exe
Size: 9442816
Version: 1.12.0.1
CRC-32: B36D063D

Which is up from 1.8MB for the last version. And it still shows the previous version number (1.12.0.1) too, though all the new printing functionality is present and correct.

I suppose file size doesn't matter as much these days, but I'm still of the small-is-beautiful mindset, wherever possible. I UPX'd mine down to about 2.5MB, but if you did forget then maybe you'd like to update the package (and/or just make the PECompact'd .exe available)?

P.S. With my Theme, the status bar has always appeared, uselessly, as just a black bar, because it's picking up my theme's black background (from somewhere), but not changing the default black text, which is thus invisible.

The fault lies with my non-standard theme, I'm sure, but would it be possible, please, to add a user option to change the status bar font color? Or force it to change to contrast with whatever background color appears?

Thanks again :)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for 1.15.01!

Did you decide not to (or forget to) PECompact the main .exe this time? My new .exe is 9MB :-

ClipboardHelpAndSpell.exe
Size: 9442816
Version: 1.12.0.1
CRC-32: B36D063D

Which is up from 1.8MB for the last version. And it still shows the previous version number (1.12.0.1) too, though all the new printing functionality is present and correct.

I suppose file size doesn't matter as much these days, but I'm still of the small-is-beautiful mindset, wherever possible. I UPX'd mine down to about 2.5MB, but if you did forget then maybe you'd like to update the package (and/or just make the PECompact'd .exe available)?

-DonationCoderTransmit (September 05, 2007, 10:28 AM)

In my mind compacting the executable is a useless action these days, unless you are trying to fit a bunch of stuff on a small usb thumb drive or something.  200gb hard drives are ridiculously cheap these days, and a PE compacted executable still has to be decompressed in memory anyway, which is the only place it would matter now (other than the previous example). 

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In my mind compacting the executable is a useless action these days, unless you are trying to fit a bunch of stuff on a small usb thumb drive or something.
So that's already one example away from "useless". Limited disk size devices like SmartPhones, etc, might be another. I like to keep my backup disk images as small as possible too, for write-speed and storage reasons. (An extra 6MB for CHS isn't an issue alone, but the principle applies of having lots of unnecessarily bigger .exe's).
200gb hard drives are ridiculously cheap these days
Maybe for you (and me). But for lots of people the cost of any new disk (no matter the capacity) is prohibitive: those on a budget; those is developing countries; many schools; etc, etc. I don't think it's sound to assume that everyone can treat disks as cheap, however much the $/GB keeps falling.

But maybe Mouser didn't forget, maybe he has performance or other reasons for the change. I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mousehill.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I like PECompact a lot, but i've recently stopped compacting my programs after a very painful episode.
During a marathon of bugfixing for "Find and Run Robot" I noticed that every so often the program was crashing on exit.  It was rare but i spent days trying to track down the problem with no luck.  Eventually i set up a little stress test that would run FARR, do some stuff, then exit it, hundreds of times in a row.  Eventually I tried comparing a version compacted with uncompacted and sure enough it was only happening on the compacted one.  So I decided for now to stop compacting the programs.

Now I should say that PECompact has a ton of options, and it's author is a brilliant guy so I wouldn't be at all surprised if what we are dealing with here isn't a failure to adjust some setting which is only causing trouble for FARR because it does so much dynamic dll loading and unloading of plugins.  I've just got so much on my plate currently that i thought i'd skip the compacting for a while to eliminate one possible source of problems.

DonationCoderTransmit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the interesting explanation, Mouser.

I just noticed that PECompact has a freeware version too, and I've crunched mine down to 2.1MB now (about .5MB better than UPX). I'll go back to the original if it starts crashing ;)

Just a suggestion, but this topic (your new policy, the reasons, the possibility for users to compact their own if they wish) might make an interesting paragraph in the next newsletter.

I understand that my peculiar status line issue will have to wait at least until quieter times :)