ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What are your opinions on sites like Hordit?

<< < (2/3) > >>

cmpm:
It has both.

Cloq:
@Paul Keith

I see your point, I am waiting for google to come out with something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't already thought of it and already have something in the works.

Paul Keith:
@Paul Keith

I see your point, I am waiting for google to come out with something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't already thought of it and already have something in the works.
-Cloq (September 27, 2008, 09:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well technically if you combine Google Suite, IGoogle and Google Sites, that's what you get. I doubt they'll bother with it though. Google has a tendency to buy niche services more than bother with making these services.

Also, they often get a poor rep with privacy so I doubt they'll pursue this route. Google often dodges these by creating a better counterpart of an existing service but in the case of this, it's not popular enough.

By the way, has anyone tried the service? I'm still holding off because I'm not sure whether to trust this site or not. The disappearance of byteswap makes me extremely leery but I can't find a service quite like this.

byteswapper:
Hopefully I can help answer your questions about Hordit/Byteswap.  I'm the founder of both sites.

First of all, Byteswap has been replaced by Hordit.  The services that make up the underlying "guts" of Byteswap will now be positioned as a platform capable of powering other sites.  Hordit is just a new and improved interface and a new name to reflect a new marketing focus.

Hordit really isn't meant to be a "file backup" service.  The original intention of the site was to be a way to create kind of a personal search engine or knowledge base.  We want to target "information hoarders" if you will - that's how we got to "hordit.com".  So for example, if I'm a web developer this might be where I keep track of CSS tips and tricks, information about SEO, etc.  And maybe I use that as an individual or maybe I'm part of a work team and we share information via a private group.   

And you can certainly store more than files on Hordit.  In fact, you can store bookmarks, files, photos, text notes, contacts and more. 

Hope that helps.

Matt

Paul Keith:
Thanks Matt. That's more comforting to know that Hordit isn't just Byteswap's way of changing it's name because of a poor reputation.

I hope you don't mind but could you link to a third party review of Hordit? I know there used to be some for Byteswap. It's just that with these type of services, it's hard to entrust files to a service that's basically unknown (although I don't really have any important files to put into it, but better be sure than sorry.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version