topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Kingsoft Office  (Read 39736 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kingsoft Office
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 05:41 PM »
i was browsing through Kingsoft forums and noticed that there is a thread about multi-lingual spell check which is not yet supported.

http://www.kingsofts...ic.php?f=26&t=15

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 08:23 PM »
I was disappointed by their Klonoa mascot though. Usually when people opt for this, it means the interface is much more user friendlier than your run of the mill OpenOffice and MS Office but what I saw staring in front of my eyes was a very foreign if not slightly similar to general Office Suite user interface. (Of course Tux is an exception to this but it's still an illusion downer)

I thought the interface was friendly it looks like MSO and it has the features in the same places (well in KSO07 anyway)

That right there is the problem. When you have a cartoon mascot, 9 times out of 10, I'm expecting a friendlier not "MSO" interface.

OK but now many people judge the software on the mascot. I have never done that, I thought it would be better to judge it on what it can do.

That's true but it's still a factor in marketing and first impressions.

Actually I didn't judge it by the mascot though it did influence my first impression, I just wasn't sure I needed an MS Office clone because of how similar the user interface looks which would normally be a good thing because it's still slightly faster compared to OpenOffice but in the case with a paid for Suite, I just don't think that cuts it. Then the first impression with the mascot came back and that was when I realized my disappointment after finding out it's just as busy looking as MS Office's user interface. A far contrast from the cartoony look of the site.

I personal think it would be very hard to make a Office suite not look busy, unless you cut out all the extra toolbars and side panels etc,etc. It really depends on what you are using the suite for to how busy it is going to look. As for mascots the only time I look at them as part of the program is when they are built in like the MS paper clip.

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 08:30 PM »
... I've never seen any ads so dunno where the ones you refer to come from.

I just quoted the mentioned page. It seems there are many variants of this product. I'll have to see for myself, time permitting.

Yes there are, Vietnam version, Chinese version, Japenese version, and English version, etc. These are not classed as the same software versions

The Vietnam English Version is different from the International English version (KSO##).
If you want the Free version I personal would download KSO07 30 day trail and ask for the free Serial key  ;)

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 08:35 PM »
I tried a few weeks ago KSO 2009 and 2007.  The last version, 2009, is more Office compatible : I was able to load some excel worksheet that had some formulas that didn't load in the 2007 version.

BUT there is one major drawback for the moment : spell checking is in English only.  So I'll stay with Softmaker 2008.

We have had a lot of request for a non-English spell checker and I have been talking (telling, fighting, etc, etc) with the development team about this, the problem lays with the spell checking program itself and the way if stores the Dic, so a new one can not be imported.

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 08:39 PM »
have a good week everyone.  :D I'll see you all around the 6th Oct :Thmbsup:

theredgiant

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 10:15 AM »
OpenOffice3 is supposed to come out very soon.
Apparently they're working hard at incorporating an email client into it.
Anyway, Kingston Office9 seems to be shareware... and OO will always keep getting better for the same price (free!) with no registration required.

Although quite new on the scene, Chandler might be your best bet as a free alternative to your Outlook needs.

Kingsoft Office 2009 is not free, It costs 69.95 USD.

Kingsoft Office 2007 is the free download after you request a serial number, and you do not need to give any details when asking for the serial number so I do not think can really call it registration.

Is KSO7 now free for all? then why isn't the site updated?

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Is KSO7 now free for all? then why isn't the site updated?

We are going to be releasing a "Free Non-serial number version" However, we are currently updating KSO09 and I am not sure when it will be released now.

You can download KSO07 and ask for a serial number by emailing to [email protected] or PM me, this is a total free serial number.

Download KSO07 here downloads/KingsoftOffice_ENG_V1bInstall.exe

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 09:13 PM »
Hi all, I am back in Zhuhai now, everything starts again monday :Thmbsup:

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 01:12 AM »

thanks for the serial, David. i'm glad to say that Kingsoft Office 2007 is working quite well on my computer with no compatibility issues so far.

WPS: the best replacement of MS Office, free for none-biz

Lanux128

I have a problem that maybe you can give me some tips on, I am trying to get the word not about KSO and KIS9 however, I do not have a budget and if a go to different forum I will get booted for Spam. This forum is great and I'll keep come to answer questions However, I need to improve my support forum and get more users with means marketing KSO and KIS9 with no money  :( any ideas. 

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 01:40 AM »
Hey David, i sent a PM with some of my thoughts. :)

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Just to let everyone know we have run out of free serial numbers for Kingsoft Office 2007

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 12:33 AM »
KSO07 versions are provided as a 30 day trial and can be downloaded here until the release of KSO07 personal free edition.

... and this was supposed to appear in August. Next August, perhaps?

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 01:34 AM »
KSO07 versions are provided as a 30 day trial and can be downloaded here until the release of KSO07 personal free edition.

... and this was supposed to appear in August. Next August, perhaps?

I am sorry the release has been delayed, we are currently working on this version, and hope to release it soon.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 03:26 PM »
... we are currently working on this version...

Working...? Working on what? So it's not going to be the same version, right? Limited features? Ads? Oh-oh...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 05:20 AM »
Just to let everyone know we have run out of free serial numbers for Kingsoft Office 2007
i'm glad i got mine on time. :)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 02:19 PM »
And I second that!  (having a key as well).

Until now I could do everything I wanted to do with a document using Kingsoft 2007.

Granted, my requirements are not that extensive, but MS office manages to screw them up anyway (especially between different versions!).

To be honest,with all the troubles I experienced during a required upgrade to MSO2003 I am afraid of the dreadful upgrade to MSO2007 (I already know from personal experience that Excel has had some serious changes under the hood regarding the opening and saving of files).

Normally  there was Open Office, but that is becoming bloat as well, although in version 3.0 you have the option to write Wiki pages directly in Writer (including formatting!), which is very handy for me.

kveldulv

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2008, 07:50 AM »
I personal think it would be very hard to make a Office suite not look busy, unless you cut out all the extra toolbars and side panels etc,etc. It really depends on what you are using the suite for to how busy it is going to look. As for mascots the only time I look at them as part of the program is when they are built in like the MS paper clip.

Microsoft did a fantastic job of exactly this with the new interface for the office 2007 suite.

Kingsoft *looks* like such a complete rip-off of MS office 2003, I'm actually quite amazed they haven't been sued for completely copying the product.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 02:25 PM »
Kingsoft *looks* like such a complete rip-off of MS office 2003, I'm actually quite amazed they haven't been sued for completely copying the product.

Don't you think that's just a bit strong?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2008, 09:08 PM »

and what is there to sue? isn't that a standard UI implementation that Microsoft wants everyone to follow just as it is encouraging the devs to take up the ribbon UI nowadays.

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 10:10 PM »

Microsoft did a fantastic job of exactly this with the new interface for the office 2007 suite.

Yes it looks like MS Office 2003, but it was done like this so the users would find it easier to use.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:20 PM by Davidtheo »

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 10:13 PM »
... we are currently working on this version...

Working...? Working on what? So it's not going to be the same version, right? Limited features? Ads? Oh-oh...

I do not know if it is going to be a cut back version with ads or not, but I do know KSO09 is going to be the better version.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Kingsoft Office 2010
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57 AM »
It has been quite a while sine we last spoke about Kingsoft Office. I am trialing their version 2010, and was wondering if any one upgraded from 2007/2008/2009 to 2010? Are you satisfied?
 :tellme:
It still looks Microsoft Office 2003, only like an updated version. The asking price is $70 for the suite, Presentation, Spreadsheets, and Writer. No email client.

kingsoft.gif

The homepage is http://www.ksoffice....soft-office-2010.htm
The office suite is not mentioned in any way at http://www.kingsoftsecurity.com/

click for large:

writer.gifKingsoft Office

Edited:
Unfortunately Kingsoft has their own presentation template extension, named .dpt, the same as my Better File Rename droplets.  :(

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:12 AM by Curt »

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2010, 12:39 AM »
Is it a good sign or a bad sign, when the website for an office software suite has as many typos as the one from Kingsoft?   :-*

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2010, 03:45 AM »
maybe it is merely because the company is Chinese. So they don't know about the typos, because they can't read English!

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2010, 12:28 PM »
maybe it is merely because the company is Chinese. So they don't know about the typos, because they can't read English!

I'm currently working on a French translation of my company's web site. We've contracted out the translation of the text, and my understanding of that language is barely good enough to figure out which menu option is which. I have very little way to know if there are mistakes.