ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Kingsoft Office

<< < (6/11) > >>

lanux128:
i was browsing through Kingsoft forums and noticed that there is a thread about multi-lingual spell check which is not yet supported.

• http://www.kingsoftsupport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15

Davidtheo:
I was disappointed by their Klonoa mascot though. Usually when people opt for this, it means the interface is much more user friendlier than your run of the mill OpenOffice and MS Office but what I saw staring in front of my eyes was a very foreign if not slightly similar to general Office Suite user interface. (Of course Tux is an exception to this but it's still an illusion downer)
-Paul Keith (September 27, 2008, 11:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought the interface was friendly it looks like MSO and it has the features in the same places (well in KSO07 anyway)
-Davidtheo (September 28, 2008, 03:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

That right there is the problem. When you have a cartoon mascot, 9 times out of 10, I'm expecting a friendlier not "MSO" interface.
-Paul Keith (September 28, 2008, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK but now many people judge the software on the mascot. I have never done that, I thought it would be better to judge it on what it can do.
-Davidtheo (September 28, 2008, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's true but it's still a factor in marketing and first impressions.

Actually I didn't judge it by the mascot though it did influence my first impression, I just wasn't sure I needed an MS Office clone because of how similar the user interface looks which would normally be a good thing because it's still slightly faster compared to OpenOffice but in the case with a paid for Suite, I just don't think that cuts it. Then the first impression with the mascot came back and that was when I realized my disappointment after finding out it's just as busy looking as MS Office's user interface. A far contrast from the cartoony look of the site.
-Paul Keith (September 28, 2008, 11:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I personal think it would be very hard to make a Office suite not look busy, unless you cut out all the extra toolbars and side panels etc,etc. It really depends on what you are using the suite for to how busy it is going to look. As for mascots the only time I look at them as part of the program is when they are built in like the MS paper clip.

Davidtheo:
... I've never seen any ads so dunno where the ones you refer to come from.
-tsaint (September 28, 2008, 10:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just quoted the mentioned page. It seems there are many variants of this product. I'll have to see for myself, time permitting.
-yksyks (September 28, 2008, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes there are, Vietnam version, Chinese version, Japenese version, and English version, etc. These are not classed as the same software versions

The Vietnam English Version is different from the International English version (KSO##).
If you want the Free version I personal would download KSO07 30 day trail and ask for the free Serial key  ;)

Davidtheo:
I tried a few weeks ago KSO 2009 and 2007.  The last version, 2009, is more Office compatible : I was able to load some excel worksheet that had some formulas that didn't load in the 2007 version.

BUT there is one major drawback for the moment : spell checking is in English only.  So I'll stay with Softmaker 2008.

-MerleOne (September 28, 2008, 02:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

We have had a lot of request for a non-English spell checker and I have been talking (telling, fighting, etc, etc) with the development team about this, the problem lays with the spell checking program itself and the way if stores the Dic, so a new one can not be imported.

Davidtheo:
have a good week everyone.  :D I'll see you all around the 6th Oct :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version