Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 23, 2014, 04:18:54 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 'Everything' is one FAST file search engine  (Read 46738 times)
kartal
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 02:04:49 PM »

Only ntfs volumes? kind of useless really, now what use another tool for non ntfs volumes?

But http and server stuff just ROCK!!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 02:10:22 PM by kartal » Logged
yksyks
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2008, 03:56:11 PM »

Because only NTFS system uses the USN Journal -- and hence the lightning speed.
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 04:04:10 PM »

I understand that, but this is an issue for those of us who use multiple file system.  "Everything" cannot even see the drive at all, let alone indexing. I have encrypted dirves as well.
yksyks
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2008, 12:07:17 AM »

Not an appropriate name then...  Wink Nevertheless it serves well to me, being completely on NTFS.
Crush

Hello dude!

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »

Some time ago I was talking with some other dudes and the result of the discussion was that speed isn´t important. Now in this thread it seems that the speed is the main thing you´re looking at. What´s up now, do you prefer a big software packet with many great search features or speed?  feedback
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 03:18:44 PM »

A good balance of both

What´s up now, do you prefer a big software packet with many great search features or speed?
superboyac
Charter Member

Is your software in my list?

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

Wow.  Fast is an understatement.  This is unbelievable.  My expectations for speed of all software has just went through the roof.

Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 05:44:35 PM »

Wow.  Fast is an understatement.  This is unbelievable.  My expectations for speed of all software has just went through the roof.

Great. Now I'm going to HAVE to try this  Angry Grin

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
KenR
Super
Blogger

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 09:10:15 PM »

Some time ago I was talking with some other dudes and the result of the discussion was that speed isn´t important. Now in this thread it seems that the speed is the main thing you´re looking at. What´s up now, do you prefer a big software packet with many great search features or speed?  feedback

I use both Crush. I think of them as different. One just finds files by name, the other for more/different information. For a name find though, you don't need all those features. So, I currently use Everything and Where Is It?

Ken

Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 09:31:15 PM »

I love http feature, this thing is like a file server at the same time. I just hope that it would support non ntfs volumes even that means slow indexing on those drives
yksyks
Supporting Member

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 11:06:53 PM »

Try to contact the author, he's already flooded with my ideas, but very responsive.
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 11:25:05 PM »

I'm very impressed with Everything as well  Thmbsup My search engine "collection" is getting to be as extensive as my file management collection  ohmy

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
alexey_r
Supporting Member

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2008, 06:09:21 AM »

Yes, it's really damn fast. _And_ it doesn't need to update databases. Kiss  Away with locate32 for me Wink

I'm wondering how I can use Win+F an a shortcut for Everything instead of the (useless) Windows search... Setting it in the options doesn't work Angry
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:13:29 AM by alexey_r » Logged

Alexey Romanov
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2008, 06:37:48 AM »

I'm wondering how I can use Win+F an a shortcut for Everything instead of the (useless) Windows search...

- yes, that is a good idea, alexey_r. Maybe [hint] some more people will write the author, David Carpenter, and suggest something similar? [/hint] I wrote him this:

Wow, I am so impressed with your Everything! Next step surely must be to integrate with (replace) Explorer's search box just the same way the fine SearchGT does. This is my number one feature request, please! Number two must be for you to set up a donate button, even though experience tells that very few will use it.

http://www.voidtools.com/contact.php
alexey_r
Supporting Member

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2008, 07:40:28 AM »

I have actually written quite a similar letter cheesy

Alexey Romanov
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 08:56:03 AM »

Taking my cue from Curt and alexey_r, I've written a feature request as well  Thmbsup

kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 10:29:39 AM »

I had the same issue, I am using win+s (search) smiley

Yes, it's really damn fast. _And_ it doesn't need to update databases. Kiss  Away with locate32 for me Wink

I'm wondering how I can use Win+F an a shortcut for Everything instead of the (useless) Windows search... Setting it in the options doesn't work Angry
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »

I didn't think to when I wrote about windows integration, but has anyone invited David Carpenter, the developer, to drop in here?

Crush

Hello dude!

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »

... I think now it´s the right time to continue the disc-cataloger-list (there are some new entries) and my own cataloger. I have some operations from next week on and after this I have to stay 3-4 months in bed.  smiley
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »

... I think now it´s the right time to continue the disc-cataloger-list (there are some new entries) and my own cataloger. I have some operations from next week on and after this I have to stay 3-4 months in bed.  smiley

Hope everything goes OK, Crush. I'll look forward to the updates to the cataloguer thread  Thmbsup and hold a good thought about those operations.

edbro
Charter Member

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2008, 07:39:18 PM »

If possible, a FARR plugin based on this program would be nice.
Just create an alias with Everything's command line.
[copy or print]
^ev(.*)
Everything Search $$1 | C:\program files\everything\Everything.exe -search $$1
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2008, 10:44:54 PM »

I'm impressed - I've already had a personal reply from David Carpenter regarding my suggestion about integrating Everyting into the shell. He says it's already on his list of things to do  Thmbsup

kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2008, 11:18:32 PM »

That is what he tells everyone smiley

He says it's already on his list of things to do  Thmbsup
nosh
Supporting Member

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 01:09:02 AM »

I've been triggering Everything (on WinXP) with Win+F using AutoHotkey.

The script uses Win+F as a toggle to show/hide Everything. It also starts Everything if it is detected that it isn't running.

You may need to modify:
1. The first line in the script, if you are using something other than Win+F.
2. The hotkey used (in Everything: Tools -> Options -> General) to Alt+Shift+F. If you want to use another hotkey, modify the one used by the script to match the combination you choose.
3. The path to Everything.exe, if it's something besides C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe

* Toggle_Everything.ahk (0.45 KB - downloaded 241 times.)
* Toggle_Everything.exe (198.79 KB - downloaded 205 times.)
J-Mac
Supporting Member

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2008, 01:43:31 AM »

OK - it's scaring me a little! I had downloaded this about two weeks ago when I first saw the thread here. Then promptly forgot about it! (Happens with age!) Noticed it here again just now and went and installed it. An empty window opens as soon as it finishes installing. While looking through the menubar items the window suddenly filled with files!

I have to check but...  Did Everything just index everything? If so, that was unbelievable. I am guessing that it just indexed my main HDD, but I'll start playing with it now to see.

Thanks for this one - looking very nice!

Jim

EDIT - Didn't get too far but I see that it indexed every doggone drive connected to my computer! Darn that's fast! About 1.5 TB of drive space, though not nearly all filled. Wow!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:45:31 AM by J-Mac » Logged

"I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath."
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.039s | Server load: 0.2 ]