ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What are your opinions on fan-editing?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Paul Keith:
well, the phantom menace was certainly better after they fan edited jar jar binks out of it.

google/youtube aren't going to promote/mention it as it's obviously violating copyright just to start editing someone's work without their consent.
-nudone (September 26, 2008, 03:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well google and yahoo certainly don't have a problem when you do a search for p2p.

I've thought for many years that this is going to be the future of movie making.  In the next decade i predict that when a new movie is released i theatres, the complete unedited raw footage of the shooting of the movie (hundreds of hours of different takes, etc.) will be available on the web for people to reassemble and re-edit.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, same here mouser that's why I'm hoping to jump the bandwagon before it catches on but so far no luck on finding a newb friendly guide.

cmpm:
there is a few sites to check out-

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=edit+youtube

nudone:
sorry, i meant "google video" wouldn't want to mention it.

edit:

i didn't realise (foolishly) that this fan edit thing had become such a serious thing. just a quick glance through http://fanedit.org/ and their forum looks very interesting.

i'm very impressed that someone has put together a thoughtful fan edit of David Lynch's Dune - that has been crying out for some serious re-editing since it's release.

40hz:
I've thought for many years that this is going to be the future of movie making.  In the next decade i predict that when a new movie is released i theatres, the complete unedited raw footage of the shooting of the movie (hundreds of hours of different takes, etc.) will be available on the web for people to reassemble and re-edit.
-mouser (September 26, 2008, 03:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Logical. First there was self service gas pumps. Then there was self checkout registers in stores. Why not self-edit movies? Think of all the cost efficiencies the motion picture industry could gain from doing that.  ;D

f0dder:
i'm very impressed that someone has put together a thoughtful fan edit of David Lynch's Dune - that has been crying out for some serious re-editing since it's release.-nudone (September 26, 2008, 06:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Or rather: it has made Dune fans cry out to get Lynch lynched.

One thing is adapting a story for another platform (ie, book->movie) - I'm all for that. But making changes that make no sense? No thank you. One of the cool things about the fremen is that they're mad elite with their Krys knives, and can take on the Sardaukar troops just using their knives. Wtf did Lynch add those "weirding modules"? And why is baron Harkonnen depicted as a raving lunatic, when he in fact is a stone-cold calculating psychopath? And why is he flying madly around, when he's (in the book) just using the lifters to reduce his body mass so he can walk?

Iirc there were also some other things that pissed me off, but it's been some years since I saw the movie. It's really a shame that Lynch messed up several aspects, as I like the visual style (I absolute adore the visual effect used for the Holzmann shields), and a bunch of the actors were decently cast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version