ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (52/54) > >>

Josh:
Where does it say Hyper-V is required? From what I am reading, it only requires hardware virtualization support on the system board. I can enable virtualization on my 4 year old dell PC quite easily. XP Mode seems to run fairly flawlessly here.

Windows Virtual PC requires a CPU with the Intel™ Virtualization Technology or AMD-V® feature turned on. This feature must be enabled in the system BIOS. For details on how to enable, visit the Configure BIOS page or check with your computer manufacturer. -Microsoft.com
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
Go to the Virtual PC web page and it says Hyper-V is a rquirement.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Windows Virtual PC requires a CPU with the Intel™ Virtualization Technology or AMD-V® feature turned on. This feature must be enabled in the system BIOS.
--- End quote ---

When you run XP Mode on my systems (all less than 3 years old - one less than a year old) it says Hyper-V support is not available. No BIOS options.

Josh:
I see virtualization in my BIOS and it is enabled. Plus, I see no mention of the word HYPER on the virtual-pc pages

Before you download

Windows Virtual PC requires a CPU with the Intel™ Virtualization Technology or AMD-V® feature turned on. This feature must be enabled in the system BIOS. For details on how to enable, visit the Configure BIOS page or check with your computer manufacturer.

Learn MoreLearn how to configure your BIOS settings to enable hardware virtualization on your PC

Windows Virtual PC requires Windows 7 Release Candidate. MSDN subscribers and TechNet Plus subscribers can download it from the Microsoft TechNet Springboard site.

Learn MoreVisit the Microsoft TechNet Springboard site
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
OK if you have those settings and it works on your machine I suppose that is OK for you. The main issue I see is that business still running Windows XP software and as a result are locked into using XP are unlikely to want to buy new computers so that they can run XP software in an XP Mode virtual PC - what do they gain apart from a large bill for new computers?

Hyper-V comes from the error message generated by XP mode when it refuses to run.

Eóin:
Hyper-V is MS's virtualization technology already here with Server 2008. But yes it does need the hardware virtualization support in the cpu and it is a pity that tech didn't appear sooner and be a bit more widespread. I only have one computer with it.

I guess the thing is, that with Windows 7, people upgrading their PCs hopefully won't still be wanting to run XP on them. A new PC = hardware virtualization support = XP mode for legacy apps. It was always unlikely people with older computers would upgrade the OS any way, most people get a full new PC. Now with that they won't have to worry about existing apps not working.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version