ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (47/54) > >>

app103:
I am surprised Zaine didn't post this before me, since he is such a big ODF supporter...

Microsoft Supports ODF

What may not be so widely known is that Windows 7 (the latest version of Windows which was available as a free beta) ships with a copy of WordPad that supports ODF as standard as the screenshot shows below:
--- End quote ---

zridling:
I am surprised Zaine didn't post this before me, since he is such a big ODF supporter...
-app103 (March 21, 2009, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D Actually Sun wrote that plugin and made it available to Microsoft Office back in February. I noticed, but didn't think it was Win7 worthy.

It just kills me that Sun did what Microsoft could and should have done in the first place instead of FUD-ing and fighting. They used freely available open source code to build seamless, intuitive support for ODF into MS Word. No unmaintainable XSLT. No funky, redundant additional menu items. No tortuous workflow designed to make users treat ODF as second class. No pre-requisite for the OOXML add-in to make it work.

Now if we could start to work on an open filesystem for Windows....

app103:
;D Actually Sun wrote that plugin and made it available to Microsoft Office back in February. I noticed, but didn't think it was Win7 worthy.
-zridling (March 21, 2009, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

February of this year? Microsoft made the announcement in May of last year, that ODF support was going to be added in Office 2007 SP2.

But, I didn't say Word, since Word still doesn't officially support ODF because Microsoft hasn't added it yet. (sure you can go get a plugin for it from somewhere else, but that isn't the same as it being including in it, as part of the product, by Microsoft)

And Word (or Office) isn't part of Windows any way. It's a separate product, and an expensive one, at that.

If I had been referring to Word, you are right...it wouldn't have been worthy of mentioning in a thread about Win7. But that wasn't what I said or what I was referring to.

What I said was Wordpad, which comes with Windows (this is what make it worthy of mentioning in a thread about Win7)...what has always been a second rate poor excuse for a word processor, that traditionally never supports anything that you really need to open. An application that has remained virtually unchanged since Win95.

I am referring to this thing that looks like the results of a beginner's tutorial in coding:

Quick! What Windows version is this from?

Microsoft finally gave it a facelift, an update, and in Win7 it officially supports ODF now, out of the box, before Word officially will.

This is Wordpad from Win7.

Lashiec:
Quick! What Windows version is this from?
-app103 (March 21, 2009, 05:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Win2K?

Shades:
Windows XP (classic mode)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version