ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (30/54) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Is it true you can dock the taskbar on the side of the screen like KDE allows?
-zridling (January 23, 2009, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep - just unlock it and drag it to the edge you want. It looks very nice too ;)

nontroppo:
I think he mentions DRM because his test is a parallel test, the media test runs at the same time as his other tests (testing mutlithreading workload), and I think he thinks it therefore makes a difference. As I asked earlier, I don't know what happens to the codepath with no protected content, but looking at the diagrams, the DRM architecture is all still there, just that the output is not disabled/enabled?

nontroppo:
Btw, I really love the new taskbar. It might be *cough* inspired *cough* by OS X (although I think the jumplists and other stuff goes beyond that?)
-f0dder (January 15, 2009, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

OS X had "Jump lists" since inception, and apps like iTunes, Finder, Terminal etc have customised contextual lists that are very useful even when the window is closed. But the problem is that they don't populate when the *App* is closed. They work well when opened, but some of the advantage is lost on exit. OS X icons still seem richer in functionality terms (animations and status updates are very prevalent among apps), but I think we just need to wait for developers to implement the richer status possibilities now available in 7.

The main differences between dock and taskbar are perfectly summarised by that Ars Technica article I linked to above.

nosh:
[Post edited, my bad]

Take something like a file manager, how many Total Commander, DOpus or Xplorer² users are going to dump their utility of choice coz Windows Explorer got OMG so damn good with Windows 7!!  Xplorer² or XYPlorer for instance are both the product of individual developers. I cannot fathom why MS with all the talent and resources at its disposal hasn't come with anything really close to these apps after so many years in the business. File managers aren't exactly specialized applications for an OS either.

And sorry about being a wet blanket but jump lists seems like a cute little system utility that one hears about in a Lifehacker post and forgets a week later. *Nosh refuses to sing the Windows 7 anthem*

nontroppo:
Scott Finnie ain't singing the Windows 7 anthem either:

http://blog.scotsnewsletter.com/2009/01/18/windows-7-beta-1-im-not-impressed/

He doesn't see the performance boost he saw with Win 7 alpha, suggesting this is a classic cycle where the MS OS gets slower as it marches to RTM... And homegroup can be less than ideal to setup. Why can't Windows 7 interoperate, it can't play with any Macs on the network, yet Leopard can see both Macs and PCs. Bonjour is open-source and wouldn't kill MS to extend its interoperability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version