ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (22/54) > >>

zridling:
I would not be so sure about Win 7 being released by mid-2009....-MrCrispy (January 08, 2009, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Anyone want to take bets on this? I say it will be released on June 1st, July 1st at the very latest.

superboyac:
Here's a dumb question:  What's really the problem with Vista?  I don't quite understand.

I haven't been following all of this.  I've used vista occasionally on my parents' computer and it was fine, I thought.  So what's the problem from a practical, daily level?  Does it crash a lot?  Do programs not work?  I hear about some HD hardware disabling or incompatibility, a lot of security confirmations.  Is it bloated?  I don't quite get it.

If anyone can enlighten me from a less techie (layman) standpoint, I'd appreciate.  I believe it, I just don't understand it.

Darwin:
If anyone can enlighten me from a less techie (layman) standpoint, I'd appreciate.  I believe it, I just don't understand it.
-superboyac (January 08, 2009, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I neither believe nore understand it...

When I bought my current computer in August 2008 it was with every intention of downgrading it to XP or 2k (if I couldn'tt get an XP disc). I set up Vista to burn the recovery discs before downgrading and I'm still running it. I like Vista and recently upgraded from 32 bit Home Premium to 64 bit Ultimate. It's as stable (if not more?) as XP or 2k and is snappier. Of course, XP or 2k could well be "snappier" on my setup but I'm not motivated to try. The ONLY thing that annoys me is that a very expensive piece of software that I use for work will not run under Vista (though a Vista compatible version is available... for a price), but I've got several notebooks all running XP Pro and/or 2k, and they're all networked together, so this is hardly a dealbreaker...

f0dder:
Darwin: the DRM is main degradation of certain outputs if "protected content" is playing, so you're probably not going to experience it unless you're playing back HD-DVD or BluRay media. It's frightening that the stuff is there, though. And it has real-life affected some people (certain types of digital outputs don't have copy protection, and are thus disabled when the PMP is active). Then there's the insane-o RSA/AES encrypted driver communication when dealing with the DRM stuff, etc. It might not bite you, but it's there and it bites some people.

Also, several people (including scancode) has experienced latency problems on sound under Vista. This is not something regular users will experience, but low latency is crucial if you're doing sound production.

Then there's the weirdo "shadow folders" that mouser talks about in a thread around here, which is a bad idea.

Personally I've not been bitten by any of these things, and Vista64 runs pretty great on my laptop (I'm tempted to give XP64 a go on it too, and see if there's any difference). But there are issues and they're real... so I'm postponing workstation ugprade until Win7 (which will probably have the same issues, but at least seems to be a bit less fatty :)

Darwin:
Ah... thanks for that, f0dder. I'd forgotten about the DRM thing, though I was following it in the period building toward Vista's release. I'm just hoping that Windows 7 will be a reasonably priced (ie under $200 for Ultimate) upgrade. I'm very happy with Vista, but if Win7 is all that people are saying it will be, I will simply have to have it, won't I?!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version