ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WINDOWS 7 THREAD (ongoing)

<< < (15/54) > >>

f0dder:
Well, the old reference rasterizer is typically <1fps iirc, so they've probably done some work. But it's still somewhat pointless for gamers, as soon as a software rendering path is taken, frame rates drop to unplayable. It's really mostly useful for developers as a tool to check if graphics glitches is a bug in their code, or flaky video card drivers.

As for faster than intels integrated solution, keep in mind that they compared a beast of a processor, and intel's GMA was (afaik) designed with relatively low power consumption in mind... a quadcore at 3GHz running maxed out isn't exactly low-power ;)

Hirudin:
I like going back to simple numbering over fancy/faux names and years. I find Ubuntu's numbers fine, but their naming scheme is truly dumb imo. But a ribbon touch calc? NOOOO!!
 (see attachment in previous post)
-zridling (October 15, 2008, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
What the hell is that thing???? If that's a real picture of the new calculator I might have to reconsider my plan to buy and install Windows 7...

zridling:
Yes, the ribbon is not efficient in all contexts, and Microsoft should not force it onto simple apps.

zridling:
The latest Win7 Benchmarks are fantastic news. Speed might likely be the single most important factor in getting users off of Vista sooner than later.

Cinebench was the one test where Win7 was slower than Vista.

MrCrispy:
Add me to the Win 7 fan club!  I just bought a new laptop for my brother with pretty decent specs - HP Pavilion with 2.2Ghz C2D, 4GB Ram, Intel 4500HD integrated graphics (I don't trust Nvidia cards!). Even on this, a fresh install of Vista x64 SP1 was not exactly mind blowing, and it failed to detect a lot of hardware (wireless network, camera etc).

I decided to play with the latest Win 7 build 6956. As part of the initial setup, it found my home network over wireless and configured it, and everything works! It feels a lot faster and polished than Vista and so far I have had no issues. The new Libraries feature is awesome and so is the superbar and Aero peek. Control panel is organized better, with more items. Its a lot of small touches that I can appreciate after using them, even after I read all the previews. Can't wait to try the beta in Jan.

Also worth noting - this is a 32-bit Win 7 build (can't use the full 4GB memory) yet it ran faster than 64-bit Vista.

In fact it works so much better than Vista that I almost wish I could give it like this to my brother instead of with Vista. But I know I can't in good faith do that :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version